Book Review: Everlasting by Alyson Noel

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Everlasting by Alyson Noel
Publication date: 1st July, 2011
Published by: Pan Macmillan Australia
Source: Thanks to Pan Macmillan Australia


Everlasting is the sixth and final installment of the epic love story that has enchanted readers across the world. Ever and Damen have spent centuries facing down bitter rivals, jealous friends and their own worst fears-all in the hope of being together forever. Now in Everlasting, their destiny is finally within reach.

Will they be united-or torn apart forever? Readers will finally discover the truth in this anxiously awaited conclusion!

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "The two of us refusing to look back, knowing it's better to look forward, toward the future, than to long for a past that's gone forever."

The Immortals series and I have certainly had our ups and downs but I have always been fascinated by this  spellbinding world Noel has created.  The concept of being immortal, spending centuries fighting for love is perfect for the romantic at heart which we all know I am.  And then you have magical Summerland and being able to manifest whatever your heart desired (like red tulips) and it adds a refreshing element to this story about out of the ordinary love.

One thing I like about Noel's writing is that plot is constantly full of surprises.  No other couple has had to work as hard for a happy ending then Ever and Damen.   They have had so many struggles that have provided many nail-biting-edge-of-my-seat moments.  While there was still a few completely unexpected twists in Everlasting it's pace felt a little slower or maybe that is because we know a happy ending is in sight.....or is it?

A lot of my difficulty with this series has been with the character but I felt you could really see how much Ever has grown in this final instalment.  In the earlier books she frustrated me with her decisions as I felt she would make mistake after mistake and never really learn from them.  But she is now making smart choices.  It makes me very happy to see her turn into a strong young women.  Now Damen, I felt he was a little disappointing.  I didn't feel he had quite the charm and confidence as usual and was a bit too brooding for my taste but I did like the way he will do anything to protect Ever and his unconditional love for her.

As for the romance between Ever and Damen it was very sweet.  However my favourite romantic scenes were the flashback of their moments together in previous centuries.  It was passionate and you could see the sparks flying.

Overall, fans of The Immortals are going to love Everlasting.  It is a perfect and surprising end to this popular series.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Romance: 3/5
Cover: 4/5

For more info:  Visit The Immortals' website or Pan Macmillan Australia

For more reviews:  Book with Bites

Trailer:

17 comments:

Misha said...

I have the first book in the series, and I am planning to read it soon. I have heard some complaints about the characters in this series, so it's good to hear that Ever grows in to a more mature woman in this book. Thanks for the review!

Jenny said...

I haven't read any of the books in this series yet, but it seems like most people have an up and down relationship with it. That's probably true for most series though:) Too bad Damen is a little disappointing in this one, but it's nice to know Ever grows quite a bit! Fantastic review Nic:)

Anonymous said...

I think I might give this series a try now that it's over.
Thanks for the review

Mimi said...

I have only read the first book in the series. I thought it was cute fluffy read not I need to get the rest of them finished to see where they are headed. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I can't believe I haven't read any Noel yet. I've met her and she is quite lovely, so I will have to give her books a try soon.

Is it just me or does it seem a bit weird that an Immortal would keep making mistakes and never really learn from them? Maybe when you've lived for that long, making mistakes because something you could care less about. *shrugs*

I'm a romantic at heart, so the idea of a love that lasts through centuries sounds epic.

Savannah said...

Nice review. I was glad that the series ended and everything was tied up nicely.

Leanna Elle said...

I just finished reading this, and I thought it was a fitting ending too. I still think the book would have worked better as a four-book series. In the end everything was just so dragged out!

Ever didn't annoy me in this book at all, I'm glad to say, and you're right about Damen. He just wasn't the same Damen in this book, unfortunately.

Rummanah Aasi said...

I read the first two books in the Immortals series and quickly realized that's it's just not my cup of tea. I found the characters annoying and the storyline didn't interest me. I'm glad that you did enjoy it.

Jenny N. said...

I'm so behind on this series but I did like what I read in the first two books.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I have the first book but have yet to start it because of mixed reviews. I think if I ever have a lull, I'll give it a go. Great honesty, Nic :)

Ange said...

Awesome review. I'm halfway through this series, but have put reading it off for far too long. I so agree with you about Ever, she frustrated me a lot and that's maybe why I stop reading the series. But maybe now I should try get back into it. Thanks for the review!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Strangely I have this one and the only one I've read in this series (well, the offshoot) was her sister's first novel. I so need to get on this. It sounds so sweet and I love characters that grow! Oh thanks for this review. I will be getting the rest of the series to read!

A Canadian Girl said...

I read the first book in the series and thought it was okay. I also read the first few pages of the second book but couldn't motivate myself to read further. It's good to know that Ever does evolve through the series to become a smarter character. Thanks Nic!

Abbey said...

i havent read this series but i've wanted to for ages, i'm having a problem of too many books and not enough time!
great review Nic

Nina said...

I heard so many mixed reviews for this series that I haven't tried it. I'm glad you enjoyed the last book! ;)

Macy @ It's a Book Thing said...

I'm currently reading the 3rd nook in the Immortals series. I really didn't care for the first 2 books but I'm going to finish the series. I'm glad you enjoyed the last book. Your review made me want to finish this series! Now following!

If you have a chance, please check at my blog.
http://itisabookthing.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hі thеre еxcеllent website! Does running a blog like this гequire a large аmount
of ωork? I have nο eхpertisе іn computer prоgramming but Ι
had beеn hopіng to start my own blog in the nеaг future.
Anуways, if you havе аnу suggestions or tеchniques for
new blog οwners plеase shаre. I know this iѕ
off subjеct but I ѕіmply neeԁeԁ to ask.
Apprеciate it!

my ωеb blog - Iphone Repair Damansara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara