Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Goodreads Description: "Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.

My Review:-

Favourite Quote: "For a while, for as long as you're looking at it, that painting is the world and you get to be in it."

I decided to give Graffiti Moon a try after reading my friends Nomes' review. And I am so glad I did because it was brilliant! 

The story is written in both Lucy’s and Ed’s point of view. You have got to love dual narration where you get into both character's minds. There is also some poetry from Poet (Shadow‘s friend) thrown in as well just to mix it up a bit more.  And despite all these elements it never gets confusing or feels like the author is repeating herself. The writing has a lyrical feel to it and Crowley definitely has a way with words. The way she described the art in the story I felt like I was standing there looking at it and I wish I was.  So beautifully descriptive.  The plot was set over the course of one night and it was fast paced and had plenty of surprises.  I think the cover describes the plot the so well "an artist, a dreamer, a long, mean night"

Crowley writes vibrant and believable characters. Lucy, I liked instantly. She was smart but also a dreamer and wasn’t afraid to break a guy nose if he deserves it. Ed is definitely a crush worthy character although I wasn’t sure at first. But underneath that troublemaker image is a sweet guy with a beautiful artistic soul that doesn’t realise his own self worth. Lucy and Ed had plenty of witty banter and loads of chemistry. There also was lots of funny moments provided by a great mix of secondary characters.

Overall a clever, funny and heartfelt story. The only problem is I did not want this story to end! 

Rating: 5/5

Want More Info:
  Check out Cath Crowley's website.
More amazing reviewsInk Crush and Hey Teenager of the Year

6 comments:

Vee said...

I've read bits and pieces of this one, and it was soooo good, but I'm trying to save it until after my HSC so I can enjoy it properly, haha.

The premise is fantastic and the prose seems so gorgeous. Love the quote you picked, by the way! Great review :D

Nomes said...

you did such a good job on this one. I foudn my review really hard to write.

i'm so into art so I really loved everything about this. especially the fun twist with Shadow and Ed (and that convo about having sex, haha - loved that bit)

Loving your blog! Yay for an Aussie blogger who's actually reading Aussie books! ;)

xx

Annette Mills said...

I have given you an award: http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com Congratulations!

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

@ Vee - I recommend that you try and set aside a couple of hours so you can reading it all in one sitting because the last 150 pages you can't put down!

@ Nomes - Thanks. It took me forever to write. It was hard to express my thoughts without giving the plot away. Thanks for inspiring me to read this and so many other Aussie titles :)

@ Annette - Thank you that is so nice. I will have to go check it out!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I so want to read this! i wish The BOok Depo would get it in stock soon, it looks wonderful. awesome review! im (usually) a huge fan of dual narrations :)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Beautiful descriptions and Well thought out characters. Gah! I wish there was an easier way for US readers to get their hands on these books.

I love this review Nic. I have seen the cover a few times, but this is the first I read a review for it. Sounds like a wonderful story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara