Fixing Deiliah by Sarah Ockler

Monday, January 31, 2011

Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Publication date: December, 2010
Published by:  Little Brown Books for Young Readers
   
Goodreads Description: 
Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.
She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.
Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?

My Review:-

Favourite Quote: "That thing in my chest lurches sideways and I take a deep breath, count to ten and bury it, way down deep."

If I had to use one word to describe this story it would be GORGEOUS.  From the writing to the characters to the plot, everything about this book is absolutely gorgeous.

Fixing Delilah is a story of a mother and a daughter who are lost from each other and a family that is hiding secrets.  It it a story about finding yourself and reconnecting with the ones you love.

I have been dying to read this as I love Twenty Boy Summer and I knew that I could count on another book full of alluring writing and I wasn't disappointed.  Again, I was stuck trying to pick just one quote as Ockler really has a way with words.   She has an eye for details, can captures emotions perfectly and has a way of making everything sound beautiful.   It is an emotional read but not quite to the same extent as Twenty Boy Summer which made me cry.
 
What drives this story is the characters.  Delilah is someone that I can understand.  She acts reckless and feels like she doesn't know who she is anymore.  She has a witty but always heartfelt voice.  She is character that grows and changes as the story goes on and it is wonderful to watch. 

There is also a distinctive and just as strong bunch of secondary characters that play an important part of the story especially Delilah's family.  And it was nice to read a story for a change that family was the main focus.

However the romance that is in the book is delicious.  Patrick is the boy next door, who can sing, plays guitar and works for his Dad's constructions business during the summer (which means a few swoon worthy shirtless scenes).   Patrick and Delilah had some really sweet and tender moments together (and some hot and steamy moments too) like this:

"He lifts my chin until our eyes meet and his lips brush over mine, soft at first, dandelion seeds blown against my mouth like a wish, and then....completely.  Hungry.  Suffocating and desperate and I don't want it to stop.  I've never been kissed liked this before - not by Finn or the celebrity crushes in my head.  Not even in my craziest dreams."

Overall, Fixing Delilah is another outstanding story from one of my favourite writers.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

Recommend for fans of:  Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler, The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

For More Info: Sarah Ockler's website

For More Reviews: The Reading Housewifes of Indiana and The Tales of Compendium

15 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I've been dying to read this because I just adored Twenty Boy Summer, except I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations! I've read mixed things but I still definitly want to read it soon, esp. after reading your review :) I can always read more contemporary YA :)
And AGGHHHH that quote(s)!! looove.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

@ Audrey - I love the characters more in Fixing Delilah but I loved the plot of Twenty Boy Summers better.......if that makes any sense :)

Jamie said...

Great review! I actually haven't heard of this book but now I'm gonna check it out.

Misha said...

I can't believe I haven't read it yet! It's been lying on my bookshelf for so long. I am glad to hear that it's an outstanding book. I had hoped it to be so. I haven't read any other book by Sarah Ockler but the way you described the author's writing reminds me of Courtney Summers, an author I love.

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

I loved the book also, and I agree the suthor has a way with words. I loved so many of the quotes in the book, and Patrick...OMG! I believe Delilah grew alot as character in the book as well. Actually I think alot of the family did. I haven't read Twenty boy summer. (although I have it) So I'm hoping I'll love it just as much although I'm not usre I want to cry. Great review!

A.J. said...

Awesome review! Loved TBS, so can't wait to read this one...and to meet Patrick. ;D

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Ockler was a genius with Twenty Boy Summer, so I'm excited to read this (hopefully someday soon!) Great review, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Ha! Nic! Your review made me swoon! What is it about guitar players that is so freaking appealing. I love that quote: "I've never been kissed liked this before - not by Finn or the celebrity crushes in my head."

Who can outdo a celebrity crush kiss in your head? Wow!

This sounds like another book I need to read for my brand of 'cheap therapy.' Running off to order it now. :D

Jenny said...

I haven't read any Sarah Ockler and I really need to change that *slaps own wrist* I love that she writes really strong secondary characters, I love when they're really fleshed out and as interesting as the main characters. Great review Nic!

Leanna Elle said...

OK, I totally need to read this! What a wonderful review! Twenty Boy Summer has been on my wish list for ages and ages, and I really need to get around to reading it along with this one soon.

I can't wait to meet this guy Patrick! I've already got a crush on him. What am I like?!

Teddyree said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh I have this one on my tbr pile. It's going to the top thanks to your review Nic (well after a couple of arc's) and I loved Twenty Boy Summer too :)

A Canadian Girl said...

Great review, Nic! I loved Twenty Boy Summer too so I've already got this one on my wishlist :)

Jenny N. said...

Great review! I'm hoping to read this soon as its part of a reading challenge I joined.

nicole said...

oh i'm totally jumping on this bandwagon. i'm going out this weekend with the specific purpose of hunting down this book...

one hopes it is actually out in australia??? or is this an order from overseas situation?

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

I'm so excited for this one now :D I'm also going to stalk your review for Twenty Boy Summer because I've never heard of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara