Out For Blood by Alyxandra Harvey

Monday, January 10, 2011

Goodreads Description - Hunter Wild is the youngest in a long line of elite vampire hunters, a legacy that is both a blessing and a curse at the secret Helios-Ra Academy, where she excels at just about everything. Thanks to her friendship with Kieran Black, Hunter receives a special invitation to attend the coronation of Helena Drake, and for the first time, she sees the difference between vampires that must be hunted and vampires that can become friends—or even more. When students at the academy fall victim to a mysterious illness, Hunter suspects they are under attack from within. She will need someone she can trust to help her save the future of Helios-Ra . . . help that shockingly comes in the form of Quinn Drake, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire. Who said senior year would be easy?
My Review:

Favourite Quote: "His fangs lengthened, but only a little.  I wouldn't even have noticed if I wasn't used to watching for things like that.  And it didn't make me nervous for some reason.  I wasn't scared, and not just because I had a purse full of small sharp weapons.  There was something between us suddenly, and it wasn't merely a secret unraveling."

I always have a blast reading The Drake Chronicles and Out for Blood is no exception.  There are certain elements that I require for a good vampire tale and this book ticks all the boxes - fast paced plot, action and adventure, witty dialogue and a delicious romance.

First of all this is not your average vampire tale.  It has such a unique concept with the Helios-Ra, the hounds, the Host, and the Hel-Blar.  In this installment Harvey focuses mostly on the Helio-Ra Academy where they train teenagers the skills to kill vampires.  While the writing is good and the plot captures your attention (I devoured it in one day), it is a tad bit predictable.  Don't get me wrong, there are some little surprises along the way but you know in the end the guy and the girl are going to up end together and of course save the day.  But I like it that way.  It is nice to have a series that doesn't need to end of a cliffhanger or with a break up. 

Each installment focuses on a different member of The Drake family (expect book one which had Solange and Nicholas Drake).  Out For Blood is Quinn Drake and Hunter Wild's story.  And let me tell you I have been waiting for Quinn's tale (I have been drooling over him since book 1).  Apart from being delicious, he has an energetic attitude and is a big flirt.   While Hunter is strong and fierce but a sweetheart.  Not only can she kick some butt but she is the type of girl who you would want to be friends with.   Quinn and Hunter relationship is filled with lots of flirting making for sizzling chemistry.  It also a lot of fun and it is nice change from all those intense paranormal romances.

We also get to visit some of our favourite couples and characters from the previous books.   I love getting a glimpse of what is going on in Lucy and Nicholas' lives.  I love their snarky but sweet banter toward each other. 

Overall, Out for Blood won't disappoint fans of this series.

Here are some other quotes I enjoyed:

"You are actually strutting", Nicholas muttered.
"Just a little.  It is good for the soul."

"Quit studying- we haven't even started classes yet.  Tell me about the Drake brothers.  Are they as yummy as everyone says?"
"Totally."  I didn't even have to think about that one.  "It was like being in a room full of Johnny Depps.  One of them even kind of dressed like a pirate."

Overall Rating: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters:5/5
Romance:5/5
Cover: 4/5

Recommend for fans of:  Morganville Vampires Series and vampire action/romance.

For More Info: Alyxandra Harvey's website.

Note: Book 4 - Bleeding Hearts will have 3 POV's Connor (Quinn's twin) Christabel (Lucy's cousin) and also Lucy! So excited as I love Lucy and wherever Lucy is Nicholas is sure to be! They are my favourite couple.

15 comments:

Misha said...

After a series of bad experiences with vampire books, I stopped reading them. But everyone has been saying that this series is different. If it's not the "average vampire tale" as you say, I will definitely give it a try :)
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Before I fully read the blurb (and realised that Hunter was, in fact, a girl), I thought Hunter was a guy, and during the review, I was thinking, 'Wait... so they're gay??' LOL!!

I don't much like The Drake Chronicles because I'd prefer it to focus on Lucy and Nicholas-- I love these two.

I read the second book and it barely kept my attention. But I think I'll try out book 3. :)

...Also: "One of them even kind of dressed like a priate." Cracked me up!

Nomes said...

""You are actually strutting", Nicholas muttered.
"Just a little. It is good for the soul.""

hahahahahahahahahaha. love it.

great review Nic :)

xxx

Leanna Elle said...

Out for Blood is my favourite Drake Chronicles book so far! I didn't like the first book at all, but the series has really grown on me now. Quinn is so yummy too - I had a total crush on him in this book!

Jenny said...

I can't believe I haven't read this series with how much I love vampires! And delicious vampire romance? Heaven:) Fantastic review Nic, I need to get these books immediately!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've never even heard of this book or this series! It could be the fact that vampires are SO not my thing haha but your review makes me want to try it! Great review, Nic :)

Kat said...

I need to read this series! I thought Hunter was a guy at first, too, Alice, but I was more like 'gay vampires=YES!'lol Great review, Nic-- love your new rating system and especially the Johnny Depp quote. :)

Shannon The Bookstalker said...

I've never read any of the Drake Chronicles, but I've had friends tell me I should. I'm on vampire overload, but maybe I'll rethink it! Also Nic, I gave you the stylish blogger award!

http://stalkingthebookshelves.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-have-stylish-blog-award.html

Jenny N. said...

The books of this series are coming out faster than I can read them. LOL Hopefully I will catch up soon.

A Canadian Girl said...

I haven't read this series yet but I think I'll have to give it a try since I'm a big vampire fan.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Okay, how is it that I know nothing about this series?

I'm always looking for vampire stories with a twist, so now I'm really looking forward to this.

A room full of Johnny Depps! *dies*

OMG! Seriously, I'm excited. It almost sounds like the BDB books, but YA? *runs off to Amazon*

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

*head smack*

Okay! Now I recognize it. The different versions of the covers threw me off. And I think book one even has a different book title.

Still excited to give them a read.

Elodie said...

Wow !! It sounds really good !! I love your quotes ;) !!
Great review !!

Braiden said...

Awesome review!

I just awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award! Check out: http://yaconcoction.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

If you have it already I'm sorry :)

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

I so loved this book! And I had no idea that the next one would be about Connor: I really can't wait to know more about him!
Brilliant review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara