The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

GoodReads Description Melina Marchetta's brilliant, heart-wrenching new novel takes up the story of the group of friends from her best-selling, much-loved book Saving Francesca - only this time it's five years later and Thomas Mackee is the one who needs saving.

Thomas Mackee wants oblivion. Wants to forget parents who leave and friends he used to care about and a string of one-night stands, and favourite uncles being blown to smithereens on their way to work on the other side of the world.

But when his flatmates turn him out of the house, Tom moves in with his single, pregnant aunt, Georgie. And starts working at the Union pub with his former friends. And winds up living with his grieving father again. And remembers how he abandoned Tara Finke two years ago, after his uncle's death.

And in a year when everything's broken, Tom realises that his family and friends need him to help put the pieces back together as much as he needs them.

Review

"Maybe she'd always been there. Maybe strangers enter your heart first and then you spent the rest of your life searching for them."

Marchetta is a writing god!!! I have spent the day re-reading parts of this book that I love. I didn’t want this story to end.

The Piper’s Son is set 5 years after Saving Francesca. It is from Thomas Mackee’s POV and also his Aunty Georgia‘s, POV. Thomas Mackee isn’t the loveable misfit we all remember, he is sad and pissed off at the world. He is grieving the loss of his Uncle Joe and dealing with his family and his world falling apart. Georgie is also dealing with her grief but also falling pregnant to her ex who cheated on her 7 years ago. This is the story of Thomas and Georgie putting their lives back together.

The writing is brilliant, it pulls you into Thomas & Georgie's world. It doesn’t feel like you are being told a story, it feels like you are there with the characters. I became emotionally invested in them and it was heart wrenching at times. But thank goodness Marchetta balance the pain with hope and threw in humour to match the heart ache.

The characters are amazing. Flawed, realistic and loveable. I admit after reading Saving Francesca I had a bit of a crush on Thomas Mackee and this book didn’t help with that. Even if he did make me mad which happened a lot. We get flashbacks of his relationship with Tara. And also get to watch him try and rebuild that relationship through emails and telephone calls. I loved the emails, I loved seeing Tom put his feelings out there! We are introduced to Georgie and I adored her story. She was dealing with guilt about the baby, at what costs did it come. And she never believed she deserved happiness. I could have read a whole book just about her. We get to see Francesca, Will and Justine again. Jimmy though was mentioned briefly but is absent (here’s hoping Marchetta writes a book about his life!).

Overall, another favourite from Marchetta. A book I will read over and over again!

Rating: 5/5

Note: I don’t think I would call this book YA. Not that I don’t think mature teens wouldn’t enjoy it but I would classify this book as adult.

6 comments:

Tina G said...

Such a great review. Can't wait till this comes to Canada:)

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Thanks mybella aka Tina! I know you will love this one :)

Nomes said...

so cool to have this review on your blog! i haven't reviewed this one - i just didn't know where to begin to describe the awesomeness that it is.

also, loving your blog look! It looks pretty set up so far :)

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Thanks Nomes. It is still a work in progress. I guess I will figure things out as I go. Thank you again for your advice on blogging :)

T.B. said...

I saw this book on another blog and thought it looked interesting. Your review makes me want to go and read it even more! This book seems like it's so intense. I'm glad to hear that the writing is well done and so are the characters. Great review!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Hey hun,

Sorry to bother you, but I was stalking Melina Marchetta's website, trying to see if she was going to be anywhere near Texas, but sadly no. :(

Anyhoo, I was reading her news, and in reference to The Piper's Son, she says: I'll answer two FAQ about the novel here. Yes, it is that Ben and No, there isn't a Jimmy Hailler story in the planning.

Naturally, I'm heartbroken over the no Jimmy story planned, but I wondered what is with the Ben thing. I remember there was a Ben the Violinist, but does he come out somewhere else?

Just curious and wondering if you knew what she was referring to. If not, no worries. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara