A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Goodreads Description - A summer of friendship, romance, and songs in major chords. . .

CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on the moonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grieving family, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she's not entirely unspectacular.

ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke but can't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in. Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

Told in alternating voices and filled with music, friendship, and romance, Charlie and Rose's "little wanting song" is about the kind of longing that begins as a heavy ache but ultimately makes us feel hopeful and wonderfully alive.

______________________________________________________________________

My Review:-

Favourite Quote:  'And then we're at that moment where you both go and get what you want or you both go back.  The moment when you say, Stuff being scared; what's on the other side is better.  That moment when you inch closer to each other little by little, till you skin starts and ends in the same place.  Till your faces get so close your lips start and end in the same place, too.  Till you taste milk shake and salt and sugar days and the world spins and the stars sound like harmonicas.'

I loved this book! Cath Crowley has now found a place in my top 5 all time favourite authors.  A Little Wanting Song was a brilliant and heartfelt story that dealt with friendship, family and going after the things you want. 

This book had so many wonderful elements like a beautiful prose, a sweet and real plot and outstanding characters.

The lyrical writing is touching, subtle and addictive. I found it impossible to stop reading and devoured it in one sitting.

A Little Wanting Song is told from both Charlie's and Rose's points of view.  They are complete opposites.  I personally could relate to Charlie - shy, lonely and afraid to go after the things she wants.  While Rose is loud, tough and not afraid to go after her dreams.    Both these characters are authentic and that is one of the things that I loved best about this story.  I feel we all have felt like these two as a teen and faced many of the same issues. 

There also some wonderful secondary characters like Dave - all round good guy and such a loyal friend. As Charlie says 'Dave is a guy worth writing songs about'.  Also Luke - a troublemaker, who makes plenty of mistakes but redeems himself in the end.

Scattered throughout this book is Charlie's songs lyrics and it added another wonderful element to help tell the story and really expressed how Charlie was feeling.

Overall, A Little Wanting Song is an exceptional coming of age tale that shouldn't be missed.

Rating: 5/5

Want more info: Cath Crowley's website

More amazing reviews: Persnickety Snark and Steph Su Reads

6 comments:

Alix said...

Great review and I love the quote you picked. I related more easily to Charlie too but I thought Rose was great by the end and agree I think we've all felt like both of them at some point. I loved how different their voice were

And Dave is very swoon-worthy - love him!

Nomes said...

love this review nic!

has made me feel nostalgic for re-reaing it. It's been a couple of years since I've read it so the bonus of that is I've probably forgotten a lot of it :)

x

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I read this one awhile back! I thought it was good too. I loved the song lyrics and different perspectives aspect of the story. Really added some depth. Good review! :)

Jenny said...

Ohhh a 5/5 huh? That's worth checking out for sure. I love the ones you have to read in one sitting because you can't tear yourself away! Really nice review Nic, thanks for sharing this one. And that cover just makes me happy, so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I really want to read this book now! The cover caught my eye on Goodreads, but I wasn't sure if I should get it or not. :) Definitely getting it now.

Freecinemahalls said...

Nice review I love it Check this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara