Book Review: Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart

Monday, August 22, 2011

Published by:  Random House Australia
Publication date:  1st September. 2011
Source:  Thanks to publisher

I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me.

When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares.

My Review:

We all know that I am constantly saying I am not a huge fan of fantasy but it turns out I am. But only really good fantasy and that is definitely what Blood Song is.  I absolutely loved it. For me it was the perfect reading escape.

Zeraphina has always known she is different with her unusual striking looks and her craving for blood which is getting strong each day and calling her to the north.  When her older sister Lilith becomes engaged to Prince Amis in the northern land Zeraphina jumps at the chance to visit a place that will bring her closer to the answer she is seeking about her strange condition.  There she meets Rodden, the King's advisor who seems to know the answers but isn't willing to tell Zeraphina the truth.

Blood Song has that easy style of writing that is just addicting.  You can picture the world, the atmosphere so beautifully without being weighed down by heavy and boring world building unlike some other fantasy books.    And then on top of that you have a suspenseful and intriguing plot that keeps you turning the pages.  

I adore the main characters. There is something special about them.  Zeraphina, is strong, independent and just an enjoyable protagonist.  She seeks out the answers she needs even if it gets her into trouble.    Also she is never without her cat called Leap and an Eagle named Griffin and they make awesome sidekicks.

Rodden, is one of those dark, sexy and mysterious types.  He comes off tough and a little bit arrogant but you know he is a good guy underneath.  The relationship between Zeraphina and Rodden, is amusing.  They didn't fall over each other.  They  had plenty of witty banter and you can just see the sparks flying between them.  I am looking forward to seeing what happens next with these two.

Overall, Blood Song is a magical read that left me craving more.  I definitely recommend this outstanding debut to fantasy and paranormal fans.

Overall rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 4.5/5
Cover: 4.5/5

For more info:  Visit Rhiannon Hart's website.

For more reviews:  Inkcrush

**** Aussie title for those of you participating in the Aussie YA Reading Challenge.

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved This Title. Loved the Review =D And Can't Wait For The Sequel!

Flannery (The Readventurer) said...

Witty banter AND animal companions? Sign me up! I am super excited to read this one.

Oh, and you should probably just discount me for future Aussie YA giveaways since I won one already, but I'm still gonna keep uploading my reviews. I think I've finished three already this cycle.

Why are you and your country so awesome?

Aylee said...

I've been on a fantasy kick lately so this sounds awesome. I know what you mean when you say some fantasies can be bogged down by too much description with the world building so it's good to know this one wasn't.

Novels On The Run said...

So glad you loved Blood Song, I love the cover and really want to read it.

MIchelle

Chachic said...

I've already added this one to my wishlist because of Nomes' review. Good to know that you loved it as well. I love reading fantasy so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this book. Is it only available in Australia or will it be released internationally?

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

Both your review and Blood Song were amazing! I really loved the animal companions as well.

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

Sounds amazing. Can't wait to read! :)

Jan von Harz said...

Very high praise, which has me wanting to go out and get this one now. I love that the writing is easy and addicting as I have had a great deal of trouble getting into fantasy lately myself. Thanks for a great review.

Leanna Elle said...

Fantasy is just not for me, but I've been hearing good things about this one. Love the cover!

A.J. said...

I cannot wait to read this! :D

Liz. R said...

I'm a huge fantasy fan so love the sound of this one! The romance between Rodden and Zeraphina sounds great - glad you enjoyed this one, I definitely want to read it now! Great review :).

Small Review said...

THis one sounds good. I like that they don't fall all over each other. Witty banter is always good, too :)

Jenny said...

I sometimes struggle with fantasy too, but when it's done well I just love it! I haven't read many reviews for this one so I'm glad you featured it today Nic:) I know if you say it's good it's something I need to pick up!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow- Im so reading this one. That cover I think is my favorite Ive seen this year!!!

Madigan Mirza said...

I haven't heard of this one, but I am definitely intrigued. This kind of thing sounds right up my alley. That's a gorgeous cover. I wonder if we'll get the same cover in the States.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I'm not big into fantasy either, but I have a mad craving to know more about why Z is craving blood. LOL

And Rodden sound like a guy I'd totally find amusing. Can't wait for this one.

Fantastic review, Nic.

Lauren M said...

Blood Song sounds really interesting! I'm so glad the characters and writing are excellent (Also, I love when protagonists have animal sidekicks!). :) Thanks for the review!

Savannah said...

This book has captured my eyes since I first saw it. I love your review! Thank God for fishpondworld, I am so ordering it!

Anonymous said...

This one sounds good and I'm so not a fan of fantasy either!
But it sounds interesting.

And there are animals sidekicks!! that's always awesome

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Nic. I was under the impression that this one would be a little... eh.. based on that cover, but I guess I was wrong!

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

Oh wow! I hope this one is available in the U.S. b/c it looks and sounds great! What a beautiful cover! (I'd probably buy it for that alone) But the story sounds great and I've never read one, other than the Golden Compass, with animal companions. Great review!

Heather

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh this sounds perfect for me! Great heroine, great hero, great storyline! I needs it! Oh I'll be wishlisting this one!

A Canadian Girl said...

I'm a huge fantasy fan when it's done well so I'm super excited about this one, especially because the cover is gorgeous. Add a fabulous heroine, a mysterious guy and some animals and I'm sold. Terrific review, Nic!

Lesley said...

I've just ordered it from Fishpond.world as there are no plans for it to be published in the UK (boo!) I loved your review Nic you are my Aussie book guru:)

Jen (@ Jens Book Closet) said...

That cover is gorgeous! This one actually sounds really good, I think I'll pick it up. Especially because you gave it a 5, can't beat that! Is it bad that I like tough and a little bit of arrogance in a guy? o_o The Bad Boy syndrome coming into play again. :D Awesome review, Nic!

Jen
In the Closet With a Bibliophile

Bailey said...

Love that the world is beautifully developed and that the main characters are likable! =) Sounds like a fantastic read!

Rummanah Aasi said...

Love the sound of this book! The cover is gorgeous and haunting at the same time. Like you, I only enjoy well written fantasies that are character driven. This one sounds like it has all. Definitely putting this one on my tbr pile. I never heard of it before your review so thank you!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

If a non-fantasy lover can love this one, I'm sold. Fabulous, beautiful review, Nic! :)

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I love the names in this book! Just unique enough, but not over-the-top unique where you're not sure how they're pronounced.

Just added this to my ever growing TBR and even entered the Goodreads giveaway...maybe I can get LUCKY! I highly doubt it, lol.

Jenny N. said...

Blood Song sounds so good. I was just thinking why hadn't I heard of this book before until I scrolled to the bottom and saw that it was a Aussie title.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

*bounces*
I know you aren't a huge fantasy fan but hearing how much you loved this makes it that much better!! What's the bet Rodden is you MBB this week? XD (I will steal him SOON! hahah)

Belle said...

Awesome review! This sounds like a great fantasy book, I'll have to check it out :)

Alix said...

Haha I say I am not a fantasy fan too, but I do seem to read a lot of it :)

This one sounds exactly my kind of thing. I do love magic and witty banter - I think I'll have to order it from Fishpond!

Teddyree said...

High praise, I'm a fantasy fan so I'm sure I'll love this one. It's already on my wishlist but you've just confirmed that I need to get this one as soon as its released :)

Dazzling Mage said...

I assumed this book was a modern YA vampire book, but I'm glad it's a fantasy. Love your review, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one when book shopping!

Danielle Zappavigna said...

Great review - this book made me realise YA fantasy is my new favourite :-) And yay for Aussie fiction!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

In your adolescent, did you index the eat of swiftly a in propitious the craze fuck hairbreadth with people in a exposed national– because, you were right-minded bored and were a whit of a long-headed ass? Peaceful , we all did.

Anonymous said...

In your infantile, did you annals the use up of when convenient fuck considerable with people in a obtainable country-wide– because, you were at worst bored and were a whit of a perspicacious ass? Unwavering , we all did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara