Book Review: Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Friday, August 19, 2011

Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Published by:  Penguin Australia (Internationally by Dutton)
Publication date:  3rd October, 2011
Source:  Gifted

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. 

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."

As some of you know I take notes as I read.  So I thought I would share some of mine for Lola and The Boy Next Door:
  • I like the name Cricket (I don't know why)
  • YAY for Anna
  • Cheeky St. Clair
  • Awwww (several times)
  • Oh please kiss now
  • Love (more like little hearts drawn everywhere - several times)
  • What are Blow Pops?
  • Awww... melting
  • Swoon (several times)
As you can tell from the above I LOVED IT!  It was everything I was hoping it would be with it extraordinary writing, entertaining plot, unforgettable characters and yummy romance.

I love Perkins writing.  It is just effortless to read.  The pages just fly by and before you know it you are finished.  She manages to write another charming plot that has a lot of heart.  But her writing strength is in her characters.  There is something enchanting about them.

I adore Lola.  Multi-layered and far from perfect.   Just instantly likeable and a fun character.  Somebody I would love to hang out.  She doesn't always make the best choices between Max (her boyfriend) and Cricket (the boy next door).  Love and relationship are never simple and it is hard to know what is right sometimes.  I found her actions and confusion believable.

Then you have Cricket.  Just thinking of him brings a small to my face.  While I love St. Clair (even though he is short), Cricket is more my kind of guy (and tall).  There is something about his energy that makes him irresistible.  He is a little bit nervous but ever so sweet and brilliantly smart.

Perkins knows how to write romance.  She has the perfect amount of tension and heart melting moments and some seriously delicious kissing scenes.

There was also plenty of Anna and St. Clair and I was glad to see them again.  They provided plenty of awwwwww moments of their own.

Overall, Perkins has delivered another amazing novel.  Lola and The Boy Next Door is a smart, playful and heart warming story that you shouldn't miss.

Overall Rating: 5/5        
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 5/5

For more info:  Visit Stephanie Perkins' website.


29 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I would do to get my hands on this book!! So happy that it lived up to Anna and the French Kiss standards. (I LOVE that book!)

Great review :)

Aylee said...

Still need to read Anna&FK, I'm embarrassed to say. The one thing that has always struck me with all the Anna reviews I've read is the mention of how much the reviewers enjoyed the characters. It seems like Lola is going to continue that tradition with amazing characters, new and old!

Nomes said...

aww, gorgeous review nic :)

i LOVED reading it "with" you

(even though i am only going to rate it 2 stars O.o it is the reading it with you that was the most awesome thing ;)

Flannery (The Readventurer) said...

You don't have Blow Pops?! ;) They are lollipops with regular sugar candy on the outside and bubble gum in the middle.

I liked reading your little comments--especially since I can imagine where you wrote some of them.

I didn't like this one as much as Anna for several reasons (only some of which are in my review) but it makes me happy that you loved it. It's sick how right after I finish a book, I'm already hankering for the next one. I'm crossing my fingers that Isla will not be another Anna/Lola clone...

XO

Anonymous said...

awwww i want this book so bad!!!!!! I skimmed over the review (sorry) but it still made me eager for it!!!

Lesley said...

I can't wait to read it, great review Nic.

Marg said...

I am really looking forward to finally being able to read this!

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

eeeeeeeee so excited to read this!!!

Thanks for the review Nic! I can't wait to meet Cricket and I am due for some major swooning :)

AliceRoared said...

I DON'T LIKE YOU RIHT NOW!! So jealous. D: How did you get an ARC!?!

Jenny said...

YAY!!!! So excited to read this, I'm dying to meet Lola and Cricket! Awesome review Nic, loved all your little notes:) I need it to be September immediately!

Savannah said...

First off, jealous you read this already! I so want to read it! Amazing review!

Liz. R said...

Lol I love your notes! So jealous you go to read this one, I loved Anna so can't wait until Lola is released! Glad you enjoyed it, I look forward to reading it. Fab review! :)

Unknown said...

I love that you take little notes - I like the name Cricket too, must be because it's unique? Anyway, your review has me swooning for this one, thanks Nic!

Leanna Elle said...

I'm glad to hear there's lots of Anna and St. Clair in this one, and I totally agree with you on her effortless writing style. I can't wait to read this! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it lived up to Anna and the French Kiss! I can't wait to get my hands on this book and you are so lucky to have this book!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

WHAT? You've never had a blow pop before?

And I really like the name Cricket, too. For a girl though.

Still haven't read Anna and the FK, but I will, though I do prefer tall guys too.

A Canadian Girl said...

I am soooo jealous you got your hands on a copy of Lola! I loved St. Clair but I think might fall in love with Cricket more as well. Oh, and if you find out what a blow pop is, let me know. You've made me curious about what it is too.

Jenny N. said...

So glad that Lola didnt disappoint. I want to read this so bad and your review just made me wnat it more.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

My review goes up on Monday :) I would tell you what a blow pop is, but I think Goodreads peeps already told you :) and probably commenters before me.

This book was just...no flipping words! It's that great! Great review Nic!

Bailey said...

First of all, how do you not know what a blow pop is? =o LOL Second of all, I am reading this now and I completely agree with you! =D I adore the characters names and I have already fallen for Cricket. Also, I like tall guys too so I may actually like him more than St. Clair. =o

Rummanah Aasi said...

Really looking forward to reading this! I'm glad we get more than a snapshot of Anna and St. Clair in this book. I also love a MC that could easily be your best friend, that's the best kind. Awesome review, Nic!

Madigan Mirza said...

I have heard this book really favorably compared to Anna and the French Kiss... I'll have to add it to my TBR.
Thanks for the great review.

Belle said...

ZOMG Nic, so jealous of you right now! I'm dying to read this. I'm even more excited now that I know there's plenty of Anna and St Clair, and that Cricket could be even more awesome! (I'm not a fan of short guys either, though I love St Clair). Loved reading your notes, lol!

Abbey said...

Ahhhh i am so so so excited for this book, i'm so glad you loved it. Hurry up october!

Anonymous said...

ooers!
Your the first review I read from someone that liked Cricket more than St. Claire.

This give me hope, as I didn't find St. Claire much my type of guy.

Thanks for the awesome review!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Okay... first the blow-pop. I see that people have already defined it for you. Now, let me say you aren't missing anything. The lolly messes with the gum and it doesn't last long at all. Gets all gross fast. :P

Oh and now for your great review. Oh I really want to read this one. It sounds so sweet and I also love the name Cricket. Yep, this one is going on the wishlist. Plus, who could resist purple hair? Win!

Small Review said...

Blow pops are ok, but tootsie pops are great :) Am I incredibly superficial that I'm more into reading Lola than Anna because I like tall guys?

Julie said...

I still have to read the first book. I've been looking for something light but always forget it's on my shelf. I like the name Cricket, too. Great review!

Alix said...

Hoo-ray! This is the first review of Lola I've seen and I am so, so happy to know it lives up to Anna. I am really looking forward to it and the name Cricket is growing on me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara