Book Review: Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Published by: Simon & Schuster Australia
Publication date: 1st September, 2011
Source:  Thanks to publisher

17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts.After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them.

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  He bent his head and in a voice that Jack couldn't hear, said, "When you came down the stairs and fell into me, that was the moment.'"  Then his lips pressed against mine.

Wow!  Hunting Lila is such an awesome read.  It is a fast paced, entertaining, intensely readable story that is completely addictive.

Alderson has some dazzling story telling skills.  I was completely absorbed in this tale and was unable to put it down until the last page.  It has a fantastic mix of supernatural powers, suspense, mystery, action and romance.  While the supernatural theme in Hunting Lila has an familiar yet enjoyable feel I thought the military element added an interesting element.  Hunting Lila also has an upper YA feel too which makes it great read for those of us who are no longer a young adult but still love our YA.

Lila has a genuine and strong narrative makes her instantly likeable.  Easy to relate too especially when it comes to her love life (who hasn't crushed on someone older or someone they have know for years?) and she is also a lot of fun.  Then we have Alex.  Protective, smart and caring (and it doesn't hurt that he is gorgeous too).  There is also a well rounded bunch of secondary characters that I am looking forward to getting to know better in the next installment.

The romance is Hunting Lila was perfect.  I was swooning at that dreamy and slightly sexy romance within the first couple of chapters.  Lila and Alex had believable and sizzling chemistry together with a relationship that moved at the right pace.

Oh and what an ending!  Alderson throws us an unexpected twist that leaves me craving book #2 now despite it not being a cliffhanger ending.

Overall, Hunting Lilia is an engaging and passionate read.  I suggest you run out and grab a copy of this impressive debut immediately.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

For more info:  Visit Sarah Alderson's website.

For more reviews:  Daisy Chain Book Reviews

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I want this book badly!! do you know if it will be in the US sometime soon? (easier to import from the US than from Aussieland).

:D
It sounds like a terrific book! :D thanks for the heads up!

Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

This book looks really good. I'll have to check it out. Hope you enjoy!

Jules said...

I have yet to read a negative review of this book! It's definitely one that I want to read at some point. Great review.

Jen (Makeshift Bookmark) said...

OH my goodness. this book sounds all sorts of fantastical. great review, Nic, and i really want to read this book!

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

Great review Nic! My copy from Book Depository arrived on Friday and I can't wait to get stuck into it once my stupid assignment is done!

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I've heard really good things about this one, so I think I definitely need to pick it up. Everything about it just sounds so cool!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh yes... this sounds like a book I need to read. The romance sounds perfect and Squee! no cliffie!!! Whee! I am SO adding this to my wishlist!

Unknown said...

I don't remember seeing this one anywhere, but your review certainly has my interest. And that quote!? I needs it nows :P

Cass said...

I love this review and this book! It's really nagging at me that I'm only halfway through my review when I started it two weeks ago...

I'd like to give the excuse that I've been busy with my assignment, but I've been bludging and playing games (and watching LPs - google - like a bored person). :/

The best parts, which I've focused on in my review so far too, are the romantic aspects and the pacing. (Y)

Liz. R said...

Yay, I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved Hunting Lila, I thought it was amazing! I agree that the romance was perfect - great review! :)

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

With such glowing praise from everyone that has read it I really think I need to get hold of a copy lol

A Canadian Girl said...

This one I believe comes out in October in Canada. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, especially after you featured Alex as a book boyfriend.

Savannah said...

Since I loved your review and you gave it such high rating I NEED IT!

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

Sounds like a great book! Haven't heard of it and don't know if it's available here but I'll definitely keep my eye out for it! Great review!

Heather

Rummanah Aasi said...

Oooh, this one sounds really good! I'm always up for a supernatural mystery. Can't get enough. Thanks for bring this book to my attention, Nic!

Aylee said...

I don't know why I thought this one was a contemporary (probably the cover fooled me) but now actually hearing about it, of the supernatural elements plus military aspect, is really cool! I need to add this to my tbr now.

Belle said...

So excited to read this one! I've been craving some good chemistry lately! :) Great review Nic.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Of course it doesn't hurt that he is gorgeous! LOL

I didn't think this was going to be a story for me, it seemed to be too military style, but I'm glad to know there is more to it. The romance is already sweeping me off my feet, love that quote, and the ending sounds exciting. Thanks for the helpful review, Nic!

Bailey said...

I want this book SO bad but I can't find it anywhere in US stores. =( Darn. But so glad you loved it. I will have to try harder to get my hands on it!!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Great quote choice! :) Great review Nic! I love my books with romance and older YA of course!

Small Review said...

wow, another glowing review! I think I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of this.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Oh I'm definitely reading this book! Hunting Lila sounds like an awesome read, I really hope my friend brings back a signed copy from her London trip!:)

Anonymous said...

Heyy. When does this book come out in The United States? And the price?

Blogger said...

There's a chance you're qualified for a complimentary $100 IKEA Gift Card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara