Waterfall Wednesday - Week 1

Wednesday, August 31, 2011



Waterfall Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Tina's Book Review, Edgy Inspirational Romance, Supernatural Snark, The Unread Reader and me.  For the period August 31st to September 28th each week we re-read chapters from Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren and answer five questions.  To join in on this awesome event visit Tina's Books Reviews


1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, she's depressed, a little angry and is dealing with the feelings of loneliness.  Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel?  Do you things you like or dislike?


I found that I instantly liked Gabi.  The fact that she was a little down and angry is easy to relate too.  I felt the same way as a teen at times and I imagine most teens do.  The things I really admired about Gabi early on in the story is the way she cares so deeply for her family.


2.  Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy - The Dark Ages in its prime.  It there anytime in history that fascinates you and would your travel back if you could?


Hmmm.... that is a tough one.  I think the most interesting time of history for me is late 5th and early 6th century when King Arthur was the leader of Britain.  I really enjoy the legend of King Arthur but I wouldn't like to travel back to there as I don't think I would last.   But then again there are gorgeous and brave Knights so I could be persuaded to change my mind.


3.  Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place.  Gabi get manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if she's a witch.  The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls.  What do you think of men's mentality back then?  Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?


I think it depends on the man in the story.  Most of them came across gentlemanly and protective.  They do not mean any harm or to be rude.  They are just putting the women's safety and happiness before their own.  That being said I think they are men in that time that are chauvinistic and mean to women and think them beneath.  Just like the present you get a few bad ones too.


4 When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her.  Many judge her by her differences.  Do you think this is fair?  Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or the others were misjudging you ?


I don't think it was fair to judge Gabi but I don't think part of human nature will ever change.  I have had brief moments of feeling like an outsider like when I started a new job, college etc however I definitely get misjudged.


5. What do you think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages?  What would be the worst?


My first thought for the coolest thing was the hot Italian Knights but it would be the way appreciate the simpler things in life.  The worst, no plumbing equals no toilet and no hot showers :(


Thank you Tina for organising this event!
And Missie for making the beautiful button.   





21 comments:

Aylee said...

Ooh, I wish I had thought of Arthurian times; that would be awesome. Not to live there permanently, like you said, I would not last either.

Agreed that it's just part of human nature to judge, unfortunately. It's not fair but it's life.

Heh, it seems like people are pretty unanimous in the disliking the lack of indoor plumbing thing. Yeah, I don't think I would last long...

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Ni, haven't read this one, but I remember your amazing review of it! You are tempting me on this one! Love the questions - makes it sound very intriguing!

Jenny said...

Oh King Arthur! YES! Everyone has such great answers to this question, I pretty much want to go everywhere with everyone as long as I can come back:) Unless of course, some gorgeous knight (cough GRECO cough) sweeps me off my feet.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

King Arthur :)

Knight in shining armor! :)

I think everyone is agreeing on the lack of plumbing...lol

Unknown said...

Feeling an instant like to a character is an awesome thing. It doesn't happen everywhere, that's for sure. I need to get started on this series ASAP.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Hot Italian Knights! Yes, they are very persuasive. And the little I know about the legend of King Arthur is fascinating. I'm thinking it would have been an interesting time period to visit too. I'm loving that question best because everyone has different answers. :)

Small Review said...

lol, I think we'd all miss indoor plumbing!

I agree about the men. It seems like there are good ones and bad ones in all times. Luckily Gabi is surrounded by a ton of the good ones :)

Tinasbookreviews said...

ooooo- King Artie...I would for sure want to find out the real story of his whole legend...Ummmm I hope this is the same King Art...lol if it isnt.....

And Im with you, no hot showers no toilet equals blach!

Tales of Whimsy said...

The guys would be so swoony. Good call.

Michelle Santiago said...

now i really want to read waterfall. great questions and great answers.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I'll take a hot Italian! Heh... sounds like I'm ordering at a drive up! LOL

I so agree about indoor plumbing!!!

Jen (@ Jens Book Closet) said...

Yes, I was definitely and angsty teen. I look back and keep telling my mom I'm sorry. Ha! And, I agree, no plumbing would suck!

Jen
In the Closet With a Bibliophile

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Camelot!! Great pick....I didn't even think of that!!

Here's mine:Waterfall Wednesdays-Week 1

♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

Rebecca (RivkaBelle) said...

I love Arthurian Britain :o) I'd like to be around when King Alfred created written English too - that'd be ah-may-zing :oD

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

Hmm, never thought back to the days of King Arthur, but I wasn't sure if he was real or not. I'd love to prove some of history's mysteries. That would be fun! What happened to the dinosaurs? Of course I'd be in a completely indestructible time travel machine that could witness it without being involved.

I don't think I've seen one person not mention the lack of plumbing and medicine!

Great answers!

Heather

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Oh, my friend, do you know the Arthurian legend of the sword of the stone might've started in ITALY??? Totally with you, there. See my travel blog report if you're interested on San Galgano, which also served as a setting in TORRENT, of course:

http://theworldiscalling.com/2011/01/san-galgano-tuscany/

Hugs for taking part in WW! I so appreciate you, Nic!

A Canadian Girl said...

No plumbing is probably the worst thing I can think of too. I can't imagine not having showers or toilets!

Lisa said...

King Arthur...amazing answer. Though I agree I don't think I would last long.

Savannah said...

Loved this book! I like all the questions asked and answered! I hope it gives other readers a better insight so they will want to read as well!!

Anonymous said...

During the time of King Arthur how romantic if your one of the higher society but if you were poor forget it. Even the rich without a shower or toilets and proper cooking NO WAY. I would never live long enough. I think i would live to visit who would'nt. Thanks Joannie jscddmj[at]aol[dot]com

IdentitySeeker said...

Excellent answer to number 2. I also answered with Arthurian times, although I think I may have mentioned the wrong time period- would that be the Middle Ages? I was also tempted to proclaim the hunky Knights the coolest part about the whole experience *sigh* but all of the good is just overshadowed by the negative of not having proper plumbing. I've developed a new appreciation for my toilet:)

Sarah
sarahDOTsetarATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara