Book Review: Enticed by Jessica Shirvington

Monday, May 30, 2011

Enticed (Book 2: The Violet Eden Chapters) by Jessica Shirvington
Release date: 10th April, 2011 
Source: Thanks to Hachette Australia

CONSEQUENCE HAUNTS EVERY CHOICE

Violet Eden is Grigori - part angel, part human. Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengeance of exiled angels.
Knowing who to trust is key but, when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something. Even Lincoln. The only thing Violet does know: Phoenix's hold over her is more dangerous than ever.
The race to find the one thing that could tilt the balance of power brings them all to the sacred mountains of Jordan, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed.

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "I don't when I feel asleep, only that his arms stayed wrapped around me the entire time.  For the first time I could remember, when I dreamed the sun shone brightly and the world was as it should be.  A dream.
  In the end, though, we all wake up.....Don't we?"

Before reading Enticed I was a little bit nervous as I had mixed feelings about Embraced the first book in the series.  But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this installment. 

Again I liked Shirvington prose.  Simple yet elegant.  The plot this time had less romantic drama.  In Embrace I felt like it overwhelmed the rest of the storyline.  This time there was a nice balance of romance and action and adventure.  Enticed is also full of plenty of unexpected twists and turns making for an edge of your seat read.

Violet felt like a more believable character.  In Embrace I couldn't see her as a 17 year old girl (I felt like she was 25) but this time she seemed her age and a more down to earth character.  Violet is also stronger and smarter.   And I am really liking the character she is becoming.

Shirvington knows how to write romance.  Violet and Lincoln have some sizzling chemistry.  Sparks were flying, especially in those delicious kissing scenes.   And it felt like more than just physical attraction but rather a deeper connection.  

The only problem that I still have is the relationship between Violet and her Dad.  I find it hard to believe.  I hope in the final instalment he has a stronger presence in the story line.  As well as resolving some of the issues they have with their relationship. 

Overall, Shirvington delivers a page turning novel that is full of passion, romance, action and suspense.  I am very curious to see how it is all going to end in the final installment Emblaze.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 3/5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 3.5/5 - I love how the cover matches with the first one and the gorgeous earth tone colours.

For more info:  Visit The Violet Eden Chapters website.

For more reviews:  ALPHA Reader

13 comments:

Library of the Lost said...

I posted a review for this the other day! I was nicely surprised by how much I enjoyed it, as I too had mixed feelings about the first in the series.
I'm really looking forward to reading Emblaze!

A Canadian Girl said...

I've got Embrace on my wishlist even though I have no idea how I'll get my hands on it.

I'm glad that you feel the books are getting better and that Violet is starting to act more like her age. The cover of Enticed really is pretty.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Never heard of this book. Might just check it out. Thanks for sharing hun :)

Misha said...

I had heard mixed reviews about the first book in the series; honestly, I am a little afraid of angel books because I am yet to like any of themm

Jenny said...

Lovely review Nic! I like that despite your lukewarm reaction to the first book you still picked up the second one and had a more positive experience with it. Now, maybe the 3rd one will be the best of the trilogy:)

Savannah said...

I have been wanting for this book to come into stock at the book depo! I really want to read it. Thanks for the review!

Wendy Darling said...

I am really interested in trying out this series--it sounds pretty intriguing. Fingers crossed that it wings its way over to the U.S. at some point! Great review, Nic. :)

Leanna Elle said...

These books are on my wish list! I love the covers! :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one more. Hopefully the last will explain everything. I do love it when a series gets better. :)

Jenny N. said...

The series sounds pretty good so will have to pick it up one day.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I love the sound of the lyricism to the prose in this one. That would attract me, alone. Fab review, Nic :)

Jan von Harz said...

I feel a Boyfriend post coming on starring Lincoln. Great review!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I don't know if I've ever really felt particularly drawn to this series. I'm kind of turned off by how the character doesn't seem consistent in the portrayal of her age. But seeing as I can't resist delicious kisses, I just may have to over look that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara