Mini Review Special #3

Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Desires of The Dead by Kimberly Derting - The second book in the Body Finder series.  Again another great read from Derting, although I didn't quite love it as much as the first book.  It took me a bit longer to get into it but once I did I was hooked.  The plot is intriguing and I love the way that Derting is setting up this series adding in some new elements.  It certainly has got me excited for the next book.  Jay and Violet were gorgeous as usual.  I LOVE their romance.  Sweet yet full of passion and heart.  Definitely worth a read.    Rating: 4/5 

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready - The sequel to Shade.  It was just an okay read for me.  The concept is unique and I love the paranormal element of the storyline.  The writing was fast paced and full of suspense.   However this time I felt that there was too much relationship drama and it annoyed me to the point I thought about giving it up.  Just when you thought things would settle down with Aura and her love life and new problem would appear.  Rating: 2.5/5   

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach - I really wanted to like this.   I had heard so many great reviews but I was bored.  I felt like I was studying a history book.  It may have just been due to the fact that historical genre is not my thing (but then again I have just read two historical books this week and loved them).  I think the concept was good but it just needed to have writing that flowed effortless.  Rating: 2/5

The Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoyA good coming of age story about three sisters.  Has well written characters that were easy to relate too.  The plot was a little slow at time and it seemed to drag but I liked the way all three sisters stories came together.  Also I was expected a cute read and it was surprisingly more realistic than I thought.  Rating: 3/5

15 comments:

Cass said...

Thanks for the honesty Nic. I can't say much (though I will mention that you left out the link for Desires of the Dead) since I haven't read any of them yet. I was eager to read The Summer of Firsts and Lasts though, if only because there's icecream on the cover.

Jan von Harz said...

I am disappointed that Shit didn't measure up I loved Shade and especially Zach,and was hoping for more romance with him, but it sounds like it really fell short.

Chel said...

I'm sorry you didn't like Wake Unto Me. I loved that book. I agree with you on Desires of the Dead. It's a great read but I also think that the first book is much better.

Leanna Elle said...

Sorry to hear Wake unto Me wasn't all that great. I've read a couple of mixed reviews of that one now!

I felt the same as you about Shift. I cannot warm to either Logan or Zach, so all the relationship drama does nothing for me!

I liked Desires a tiny bit less than TBF too, but I love Jay even more than ever! :)

Jenny said...

Shoot! I was really looking forward to Wake Unto Me, like you, I've read a ton of good reviews for it. But if you say you were bored, than I'm pretty sure I would be too. I haven't read the Shade/Shift series yet, based on your rating of this one I think I'll hold off a bit longer. But a big YAY for Jay and Violet: *swoon*

Misha said...

I am sorry that you didn't like Wake Unto Me - I loved it! I really need to read Body Finder series - I seem to be the only person who hasn't read it.

Jenny N. said...

I thought Wake Unto Me was too wordy and it took me almost a week to finish it when I usually read a book in about 3 days. I'll probably be starting Shift soon since Shade was one of my favourite debuts from last year, sorry you didnt like it as much.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

I love mini reviews! Awww shame you didn't love it btw the pic is such cuteness!

Julie said...

I've read great things about Desires of the Dead. Too bad Wake Unto Me! But I read elsewhere that it was rather disappointing. Thanks for the mini reviews!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Eep, I kind of hope I don't feel the same way about Wake Unto Me.. it's on my shelf right now :P Love the mini-reviews! .. and now I'm craving ice cream and summer weather (when am I not?!)!!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Woah... nice mini-reviews! I'm sad about Shift and Wake Unto Me. Darn. I think I still might read Shift tho...

Savannah said...

The just finish reading The Summer of Firsts and Lasts, so much drama! Overall I like it. Shift was just freaking awesome!

Small Review said...

As always, I love your mini reviews :) I felt pretty disappointed with Wake Unto Me too. I've read a lot of positive things about the writing style, but it didn't do it for me.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Ha! Glad to know that I can save some time by no reading Wake on to Me. I hate to feel bored when I read for fun. I haven't read Shade or Shift, but the relationship drama sounds like it would frustrate me.

Thanks for these minis. You are great at expressing your thoughts quickly but packed with info.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I'm so happy I recently read both Body Finder books, loved them both! :)

I'm afraid to read Shift a little bit because it seemed people absolutely loved it or they didn't...oh well, I'll read it eventually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara