Book Review: Something About You by Julie James

Monday, September 5, 2011

Published by:  Berkley Publishing Group
Publication date:  March, 2010
Source:  Gifted

Of all the hotel rooms rented by all the adulterous politicians in Chicago, female Assistant U.S. Attorney Cameron Lynde had to choose the one next to 1308, where some hot-and-heavy lovemaking ends with a death. And of all the FBI agents in Illinois, it had to be Special Agent Jack Pallas who gets assigned to this high-profile homicide. The same Jack Pallas who still blames Cameron for a botched crackdown three years ago- and for nearly ruining his career.

Work with Cameron Lynde? Are they kidding? Maybe, Jack thinks, this is some kind of welcome-back prank after his stint away from Chicago. But it's no joke; the pair is going to have to put their rocky past behind them and focus on the case at hand. That is, if they can cut back on the razor-sharp jibes- and smother the flame of their sizzling-hot sexual tension

My review:

Favourite Quote:  "Where is Wilkins, anyway?" Cameron asked. 
"In the living room, being accosted by eighteen women who think he's a stripper. I thought it was best to duck in here."
"So much for never leaving a man behind." 
"If he starts screaming, I'll lay down a cover fire and go pull him out."

The first word that comes to mind after reading Something About You is DELICIOUS!

I haven't read a good old romantic suspense in a long time but found myself craving some especially with a little steam!  And Something About You delivered it perfectly with just the right blend of mystery, humor and smexy times.

The highlight for me of this tale is the characters.  They are witty and have some spark about them.  Cameron is an enjoyable female protagonist.  She is confidence and yet at the same time a little vulnerable when it comes to her heart.   Then we have Jack Pallas described as "tall, dark and scowling".  Talk about making me melt.  It really should say though tall, dark, HOT and scowling.  I loved his protective nature.  He wasn't that controlling-protective but rather that strong-sexy-protective. (I already have my book boyfriend post planned out for him. LOL!)

And when you add these two together you get some off the charts sizzling chemistry!  All that tension lead to some unbelievably hot steamy scenes.

But I really liked that it wasn't all about their romance.  Something About You still has a good plot as well that keeps you interested.

Overall, Something About You was a fantastic read.  I definitely recommend this if you are in the mood for a good contemporary adult romance.  This is one of the best I have read!

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

For more info:  Visit Julie James' website


For more reviews: Chachic's Book Nook

*** Thanks to Nomes at Inkcrush for the rec!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked it!!
I love Julie James -though I admit this one was my least favorite by her so far. But I agree the characters were the best part of it all!

Didn't you love Cameron's best friend? the sports writer? :D I did.

I hope you like A Lot Like Love too =)

Anonymous said...

This sounds kinda cute! And what a fun review!!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh yay! I loved this book and bought it and A Lot Like Love and blew through them both in a weekend. They're just so much fun to read:) Can't wait for your Jack book boyfriend post!

Alix said...

Great review! This sounds fun. I usually like my adult romance historical, but I may have to check this out. I do love tall, dark and scowling!

Bailey said...

Mmmmm I love how you describe Jack. I love it that he is protective but not controlling! That is so hard to find in a romance nowadays. Awesome review Nic!

Kristi The Book Faery said...

This sounds so good, Nic!

I miss a good romantic suspense! It seems like all I read anymore are YA PNR etc... I love to read all genres, really, YA PNR just happens to be my favorite!

Sounds like one I should look into. I just ordered Elizabeth Chadwicks Lady of the English based on Blodeuedd's review.

Looks like I may be ordering another!

Excellent review, Nic!

Jan von Harz said...

I love departing from my normal
YA fare sometimes too and this sounds like just the book to do it with. Thanks for the recommend.

Rummanah Aasi said...

Sounds like a really fun book, Nic! Looking forward to your MBB post. :P

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh SWEEETTTT! I can't wait to nom on your version of Jack. Oh man... I so need to get this one!

Belle said...

Oh, awesome review! I've been craving a bit more of an adult romance too, and I was just in the process of ordering books off Book Depository when I read this review - so I've ordered it, too! Thanks for feeding my addiction Nic :D

Marg said...

I have just started reading Julie James - so far I think I have really enjoyed one (this one!) and not so much the other one!

Guess I have to keep on reading her so that I can decide one way or the other.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

This isn't a genre I'd review, but it certainly sounds like something I'd enjoy overall as a nice side read! Great thoughts :)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I've been craving some smexy times too. And from what little I've read of romantic suspense, I was a bit disappointed so now I have to check this one out to see if it works better for me! Love the cover, too.

Awesome review, Nic. You certainly know how to get a girl excited. :)

Aleeza said...

i don't know why i stopped reading adult chick lit. i mean, i LOVE me some marian keyes and all, but i've been so busy catching up on YA books my adult-lit-reading's pretty much nonexistent!

this review makes me want to change that, and soon :D

Nomes said...

oh you are putting me in the mood for a book like this right now :)

this review is awesome nic and i agree with every part of it :)

Unknown said...

Haha, delicious, eh? Awesome review, Nic, you certainly have me intrigued! I haven't heard of it before :D

Savannah said...

Awe...I love to book up a good romantic book every now and then. It helps pick up my reading mood! Loved the review!

A Canadian Girl said...

I really like the sound of the characters in this one and that they actually have chemistry. The fact that there's a solid plot makes this one seem even better. Great review, Nic!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I'm sooooo happy you liked this one! It's sitting on my shelf and I've been contemplating reading it :) Great review!

Flannery (The Readventurer) said...

Nomes sold me on this one as well and I thought it was lots of fun. I'm excited you picked Jack as your Book Boyfriend this week:)

I just found another one of Julie James' books at Borders the other day. Hopefully it will be just as sexy.

Great review and glad you liked it, Nic!

Anonymous said...

And in many cases having features such as your current
amazing in addition to the ever-popular bowls
specifically chicken lasagna but fire wood dismissed french fries, Prezzo bargains
our leads that union towards foodstuffs though even so continuing to keep the truck bed cover's Spanish plant roots. Plumbed coffee makers set up straight into the wall together with these sharp rrrclawsrrr to certainly any h2o sources. Might not designs include the idea run extremely and also the should never is going to pump motor this is what to celebration work on.

My web blog: old wooden coffee grinder ebay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara