Book Review: The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner
Publication date:  May, 2011
Published by:  Allen & Unwin
Source:  Thanks to Allen & Unwin 


When Aaron gets a job at a funeral home, he surprisingly takes to it. But there are dark secrets hidden in Aaron’s subconscious.
He experiences dangerous bouts of sleepwalking and recurring dreams he can’t explain: a lifeless hand, a lipsticked mouth, a man,
a gun... Can he piece the clues together and figure out the truth of his past? For ages 14+.


My Review:


Favourite Quote:  There was the unknown, the dark, the cold and the emptiness to contend with out there, but those concepts are all relative.  Cold compared to what? A dead hand? Dark compared to what? Unblinking eyes? At times the ocean seemed full beside my emptiness.  At times it was the one knowable thing in my world.


The Dead I Know is a story that comes together like pieces of a puzzle.  It is dark, mysterious and refreshingly different read.


This story is so different from what I expected but in a good way. I wasn't expecting it to be such a gritty and emotional read.  There are many scene in this book that made want to hug Aaron, the main character, and say it is going to be okay.  This story shows how hard life can be sometimes especially when you are trying to do it on your own.  But that being said they were also some very funny moments and overall it was had somewhat of a hopeful feel.


Another thing I enjoyed about this book is I never knew what to expect.   It is a story that constantly surprised me.  I was completely stunned about Aaron's past.   It just unravelled wonderfully.   


However, I did struggle with the style of writing at the beginning.  It probably took me about 30 or so pages to get use it.   Also there was also a few squeamish scenes.


My favourite thing about this story is the unique bunch of characters especially Aaron.  He is a multi-layered character and it doesn't take long to become emotional invested in him.  And the secondary characters Mr Barton and Skye were very entertaining.


Overall, The Dead I Know is a fast paced and compulsive read.  I recommend for this fans of contemps who like them a little gritty and raw and also to male readers.


Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Writing: 3.5/5
Plot:4/5
Characters:4/5
Romance: N/A
Cover: 3.5/5 - Matches well with the story and a cover that makes you curious about what is inside the pages.  


For more info:  Visit Scot Gardner's website.


For more reviews:  The Tales of Compendium


*** This is an Aussie author for those of you participating in the Aussie YA Reading Challenge.

10 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I like books that surprise me by being more in depth than I originally thought. This looks really cool (i mean, a funeral home? haha) and I always love 3-D characters! i'd like to read this sometime, great review :)

Annette Mills said...

Always looking for good "boy" books. This one sounds good. Thanks for the review!

Savannah said...

Never heard of this book but thanks for the review! Doesn't really sounds like something I read.

Jenny said...

I love when books take me by surprise and are more emotional than I'm expecting:) You've got me very curious about his one Nic, I want to know what the deal is with Aaron's past and why it stunned you:)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh this one sounds interesting. I like books that puzzle themselves together. I also can think of a couple of YA boys that might like this one too!

Rummanah Aasi said...

The summary really reminds me of "White Cat" by Holly Black which also surprised me for the same reasons this one suprised you, Nic. I think this would appeal to teen boys really well. Thanks for the review!

Nomes said...

love the review nic :)

i really like this cover for some reason? it looks very boy book though :D

i like puzzle-y books :)

A Canadian Girl said...

This one doesn't really sound like something I'd pick up but now you've made me curious about the story especially since you said it surprised you in a good way. I love it when books turn out to be different from what you expect.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I always appreciate rich, multilayered characters, especially in stories that have you unraveling a mystery.

I hadn't heard of this book before, but the cover is fun.

Misha said...

The cover makes it seem like a light read. It seems like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara