Interview with Hannah Harrington

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Today I have the amazingly talented author Hannah Harrington.  Her debut book Saving June is published by Harlequin Teen and is available in Australia now and will be available internationally in November.  If you have stopped by mu blog recently you will know that I am in love with Saving June and it has found a place in my absolute favourite shelf.  You can check out my review here.    It is definitely one book you shouldn't miss out on.


1.  What were your inspirations?

SAVING JUNE was inspired by a combination of things. Some of it comes from my own life experiences. Music, of course, was definitely a significant influence, too.

2. What is one thing you most admire about the main character Harper?

Harper is very uncompromising. Not that she isn't willing to admit when she's wrong, but more that she doesn't change how she behaves or what she thinks in order to please other people. She has no problem standing up for herself or those she cares about. I admire her personal integrity.

3.  I love the character Jake (okay I might have a bit of a literary crush on him) so I was wondering how did he come together as a character? Was he inspired by anybody?

Jake is not based on any specific person, though I've known people who are sort of like him. He definitely has a bit of a "bad boy" persona, but I didn't want him to be too broody, since Harper was already in a dark enough place. I knew I wanted music to be a strong theme, so giving him that obsession felt like a good way to weave music throughout the story. I also wanted someone as a good foil to Harper, and I liked the idea of them both being these very strong personalities even while being emotionally guarded, with enough differences to butt heads at times, but also challenging each other in good ways and bringing out honesty in one another, so you could see why they actually connected.  


4.   What was the hardest part of the writing process for you?

Whatever part of the process I'm currently in is always the hardest! Whenever I'm writing a first draft, I'm wishing I was finished so I could move on to revising because it seems easier, but then when I'm revising, I wish I was back at the first draft stage because it seems easier. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

5.  If you could go on a road trip with anyone from the past or present, fictional or real, who would it be?  Why?

Oh, man! Hmm... Amy Poehler is hilarious, and I bet she has some fantastic stories. If you're going to be trapped in a car with someone for a long time, they better provide good conversation. I think we'd have a lot to talk about!

6.  Music is a big part of the story.  What are five albums your recommend?

Ooh, I love this question!

Off the top of my head:

Jack's Mannequin - Everything In Transit (Great driving music; my favorite tracks are "Bruised" and "MFEO Pt. 2 - You Can Breathe")
Hole - Live Through This (It's one of those albums that got me through high school; I was living a decade behind, musically. "Doll Parts" is the most well known song off of it, but I really love "Asking for It", which is also included on the mix Jake makes for June)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell (Karen O is amazing; "Maps" and "Modern Romance" are my favorite tracks)
Tarkio - I Guess I Was Hoping For Something More (This is Colin Meloy's, lead singer of The Decemberists, first band; I love his voice and his lyrics.) 
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - I Learned The Hard Way (Her voice does things to me. It's very old school soul. The title track and "She Ain't A Child No More" are my favorites.)

7.  Can you tell us anything about your next novel Speechless?

My second book, SPEECHLESS, is tentatively due to be released in September 2012 (also by Harlequin Teen). It centers around Chelsea Knot, a girl who takes a vow of silence after her gossip-mongering ways yield unexpected consequences. There is, of course, also a romance involved!


Thank you Hannah so much for stopping by.  I surprisingly own one of the albums you mentioned!  And I can't wait for Speechless.  I am just going to have re-read Saving June a lot to get me through until September next year.


You can visit Hannah's website for more information or Goodreads.  


                                     Australian cover                                  US cover

24 comments:

Belle said...

Awesome interview! I can't wait to read Saving June, and I love the concept of Speechless, too.

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

Great interview Nic!

You beat me to it, I'm posting mine with Hannah on Thursday!

Abbey said...

I wow such a great interview!
I've just started reading Saving June and i'm loving it (and Jake)
I like the idea of the huge music influence.
and so excited to hear shes coming out with another book :)
loving this post it only makes me want to read Saving June more.

Aleeza said...

loved this, nic! :) hannah sounds awesome.

Misha said...

Wonderful interview! I wanted to read this book ever since I read your and Nomes' reviews.
A huge thanks to the author for the list of album recommendations! :)

Jan von Harz said...

I have read such a wonderful review about Saving June and loved this interview. Sadly, I will have wait until November before I get a chance to read this.

Alix said...

Great interview Nic and great answers Hannah!

I'm so looking forward to reading Saving June and Speechless sounds great too

Anonymous said...

Great interview..

Now dont get mad but I like the US cover better...;D and Im looking forward to reading this one

Savannah said...

WOw, loved the interview! I must get this book pronto!

Leanna Elle said...

Really can't wait to read this one! I tried to get a copy on TBD but they don't have it. If anyone knows of Aussie sites that ship internationally and where shipping doesn't cost the earth, let me know!

Love the interview, and the albums Hannah picked. I own two of those. :)

Jenny said...

After reading your review and seeing this one all over your favorites list, I'm now dying to read it! I wish November were a bit closer:) I love the sound of Harper, I like a girl that isn't afraid to stand up for herself and those around her. And I'm very curious about Jake and look forward to "meeting" him:) Awesome interview!

Anonymous said...

Lovely interview!!
I got Saving June in my wish list and I like the sound of Speechless. :D

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Truly great interview. I had this book on my TBR before, but this does make we want it even more - so excited for the new book coming out - thanks, Nic!

Wendy Darling said...

Great interview, Nic! I can't wait to read this.

Flannery (The Readventurer) said...

Awesome interview, Nic:) Any author that loves Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is probably an author I'd love...not that I needed any more incentive to read Saving June. I bought the ebook about 5 seconds after I read your review:)

A Canadian Girl said...

Great interview, Nic! I like characters that aren't wishy-washy so Harper sounds great in that regard. November needs to get here sooner! Oh, and I already like the premise of Speechless.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Awe! I love that Aussie cover so much more than the U.S.

Anyhoo, awesome interview. I'm looking forward to reading SJ and it makes me happy to know that music will be a big part of the story. Also, I like strong personalities in characters. I bet it is going to be fun to watch Harper and Jake bump heads.

Great album list. Thanks for sharing that.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Great questions and answers! I like both the US and aussie covers for this novel :) november... come sooner! =D

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

First of all, that US cover is stunning! Second, I just loved this interview...so insightful and honest. And third, her new book, SPEECHLESS sounds amazing, too! Brilliant all around :)

Jenny N. said...

Her next novel sounds great too! I'll be adding both to my wishlist :)

Nomes said...

loved reading every word of this interview nic :)

Hannah is like, my newest hugest author crush (she created Jake! and harper! and all that goodness!)

and, her next novel sounds really cool too ~ unique and different to SAVING JUNE. whatever she writes, i will buy :)

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Love the interview! You already know that Saving June is on my TBR list after the book I'm read now :)

It's funny how I'm not a music fan myself, but I love reading books with music :)

And Speechless isn't on Goodreads yet! I have to check back later and make sure I can add it!

Great interview!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I love the music recs! Oh and I think I like the AUS cover better. The red on the US draws the eye to the wrong place.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Brilliant interview, Nic! I already love the characters so much, although I haven't read Saving June yet. Jake and his music obsession sound so delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara