Book Review: Elemental by Tiffany Dominguez

Monday, June 6, 2011


Published: 11th April, 2011
Source:  Thanks to Tiffany Dominguez

Hidden within the Blue Ridge Mountains, an elite private school trains students born with the Elemental powers of Earth, Air, Fire and Water. Luke Huntington, Earth Elemental, is tired of incompetent teachers, easy classes and most of all, competing with Eva Sarantos. Soon-to-be valedictorian Eva, Air Elemental, has trained for years for the chance to prove herself to her advisor, to the Council and to the infuriating Luke. In spite of their tricky past, these two high school seniors are paired together on a covert mission for the ruling body of the Elemental world. After destroying an airplane hangar and watching one of their closest teachers die in their defense, the two students fly to Italy, pursued by an army of black-cloaked elitists. In Italy, they discover Luke's ancient legacy, the secrets of two of the most powerful men in history and whether they can overcome their own tricky past to team up against a secret society gathering forces in the highest ranks of world leadership.

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "What do you think you are doing?" she asked.  Luke smiled the first genuine smile she'd ever seen from him.  He yanked her back to him.  "I have no idea".  And he kissed her with even more fervor than he had a few moments ago. 

Elemental is part adventure, part love story, part supernatural and a whole lot of FUN.  It wasn't a perfect read but I had a blast reading it and for me that is the most important thing.

Dominguez's writing is engaging.  It was full of action and suspense and the pages just flew by.  It is written from both Luke's and Eva's perspectives alternating each chapter and allowing us to get know both characters.

However there were times I found the story a little predictable and I wish it flowed a little more effortless but that been said it didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Eva and Luke are both terrific and entertaining characters.  Eva is smart, strong, determined and the class valedictorian.  While Luke is dangerous, protective, gorgeous (of course) and the guy at school that everyone avoids.

Their relationship starts from dislike, to tolerate, to like, to finally something more.  I love watching it change.  It's progression felt natural and they had great chemistry.

The ending wraps up nicely while never feeling rushed but at the same time leaves it open for more.

Overall Elemental was a pleasure to read.  I will be definitely keeping an eye out to see what Tiffany Dominguez has install for us next.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Writing: 3/5
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 3.5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 3/5. - Matches in well with the storyline.

For more info:  Visit Tiffany Dominguez's website.

21 comments:

The Paperback Heart said...

Lovely review! I haven't heard of Elemental before, I'm off to look it up some more!

Jules said...

This sounds interesting. I haven't heard of this before or the author but it does sound good.

Great review!

I'm a new follower! :D

Jan von Harz said...

Adding to the other comments, this is my first time hearing about this book. I love interesting characters and would much rather read about the growth of a romance than falling head over heels at first sight. Thanks for the great review.

Nomes said...

LOL that your fave quote is a kissing one (love you nic! haha)

fab review. it's easy to get a feel of the book from this :)

Leanna Elle said...

I haven't heard of this one before either. I like the premise - sounds like my kind of thing, although say that I've read so many books with this setting that I now need them to really stand out and be a little different so that they keep me interested.

Misha said...

Love the cover! Elemental sounds like a fun read. The premise is definitely interesting. Thanks for the review!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

What a cool concept for a story. Based on the synopsis, it seems like so much is going on.

I'm a fan of a good relationship progression. And, of course, of gorgeous boys and swoon worthy kisses.

Great review, Nic. I hadn't heard of this book before.

Jenny said...

Ohhh I love when relationships start out antagonistic and then progress into love, that type is my very favorite to read about:) Despite the few drawbacks you mentioned, this sounds like a really fun book!

Anonymous said...

This sounds very interesting and I love that cover!! Im all about swoony stuff..;)

Bailey said...

I agree with Jenny! I love when they start out hating each other and then through their time together and the ginormous amount of chemistry, they grow to love each other. =) I hadn't heard of this one but I am going to have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like an interesting read, kind of like an adventure.
And I like the cover, it's kind of dreamy

Savannah said...

Sounds like a great book! I never heard of it but the synopsis I would love to read. Thanks for the review!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

You had me at FUN! Oh yes, sounds like a great book to just sit back and enjoy!

Alix said...

You always pick quotes that make me want to run out and buy the book LOL! Luke and Eva definitely sound fun. It sounds very Ally Carter like from your review, so definitely on the TBR list - thanks :)

Rummanah Aasi said...

This sounds like a promising book despite the small set backs. I like how the relationship changed and progressed. It didn't fall into the instant-love right away which seems like almost all love stories for YA tend to do.

Jenny N. said...

I like that the kids have elemental powers. The only other book I remember seeing that in is in the HON series.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I adore the cover and premise of this one. I'm worried that it will be too predictable for my liking, but at least it sounds fun! Great review, Nic :)

A Canadian Girl said...

Yay, a realistic relationship and even better, it's told from alternating POVs. This one sounds like a fun read.

Small Review said...

Aaah hate turned love romance? I LOVE those! I agree with you, what matters more to me is how much fun I have reading a book, even if it's not perfect.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Great quote choice! Having fun reading is the most important thing :) Love greatly written endings! Great review!

Julie said...

I love this cover! It's so pretty. Thanks for the honest review. Never like when something ends up predictable, but this sounds like a fun read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara