Book Review: Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut
Publication date:  28th June, 2011
Published by: Twilight Times Books
Source:  Thanks to Darby Karchut

For centuries, rumors have abound of a lowly caste of supernatural beings known as the Terrae Angeli or Earth Angels. Armed with the power to control Earth, Fire, Wind and Water, these warriors clandestinely serve as guardians for mortals in danger.

Yet for one young angel-in-training, Griffin, life is hell as a cruel master makes his apprenticeship a nightmare. On the verge of failing, a new mentor, Basil, enters his life and changes it forever.

Masquerading as the average teen next door, Griffin struggles to learn his trade under the tutelage of his strict, but kindly Mentor, navigate the ups and downs of modern life among humans (including falling in love with the girl next door), and prepare for the ancient trial-by-combat every apprentice must pass at sixteen or become mortal.

My Mini Review:

Griffin Rising is quick and enjoyable read that is filled with plenty of laughs, action and adventure and heart warming moments.

Darby Karchut's writing style was easy to read despite the changing narration.  It went from the present to past and also there was also journal entries from Griffin, Basil and occasionally Katie.   The pacing flowed wonderfully and it is the type of book that you can just relax into. The plot is also had a good balance of paranormal and coming of age story.  However sometimes I did lose a little interest when I put it down but I am not sure if that was was more of a case of me than the actual story.  It felt younger than what I normally read and that was what I struggled with throughout the story.

Griffin and Basil are entertaining and endearing characters.  I love their witty banter and their relationship was the highlight of the book for me.


“And what does your father do?” Man, even the dad’s good-looking, she thought.
“He’s an angel. So am I.” Griffin grinned. “Cool, huh?”
“Wh …what?”
“We’re a type of angel. My dad and I.” He straightened and flapped his arms up and down to illustrate his point.
Dropping a spring roll back into the sack, Basil reached over and pinned Griffin’s hands to his side, yanking him away from the door. “What the bloody he … heck are you doing?” he said under his breath. Smiling, he continued loudly, “my apologies. It’s only a silly family gag, miss. Please ignore him.” Basil elbowed Griffin further down the hall, trying to ignore his snickering. “Well, we’d best let you get back to work. Thank you.” He nodded good-bye and shut the door on the bewildered girl. Gathering up the bags in one hand, he turned with a scowl.
“Hey, it’s just a joke.” Still laughing, Griffin flapped his arms a few more times as he lead the way to the kitchen, the salty sweet aroma of chow mein wafting around them.
“Wave them again, and I’m duct-taping them together.”

There is also a tiny bit of young love in this story that was super sweet.

Overall, a good solid debut.  Darby Karchut is definitely an author to watch out for.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Writing: 3.5
Plot: 3/5
Characters:3.5/5
Romance: 3/5
Cover:  2.5/5

For more info:   Visit Darby Karchut's website.

For more reviews: Books with Bite, Supernatural Snark and My Love Affair With Books.

8 comments:

A Canadian Girl said...

I enjoyed this one too. I think it's got a younger feel because Griffin is an innocent little angel :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Aw sounds so nice. I need to find time to get to this one. Great review!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

haha! Funny scene. Talk about not taking yourself too seriously. I've seen this book around a lot, now I just need to get around to reading it. :)

Misha said...

Both my sister and I enjoyed this book. Griffin is a great character.

Nomes said...

aww, love this review nic

you really got to the essence of the book well.

i can't say i am the hugest fan of the cover either :/

Darby Karchut said...

Ah, thanks for your lovely review! Your choice of the sample scene captured the book's essence!

Savannah said...

I'm excited for the next book! I think the ending it was really held me on this book. Nice review!

Small Review said...

I've heard so many good things about this book, especially about the relationship between Basil and Griffin. I really want to read it. Thank you for the info about the age "tone" of the book. It does sound more MG/younger YA, but that's fine with me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara