Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Monday, June 20, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Publication date:  3rd May, 2011
Published by:  Harper Collins
Source:  Gifted


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.


My Review:


My Favourite Quote:   As we walk toward the Pit, I repeat the line Will quoted to myself so I don't forget it.
I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives on person to stand up for another.
It is a beautiful thought.

Wow! What an amazing debut.  As soon as I had finished Divergent I re-read it all over again.  That is how much I loved it.   For me it had all the right elements - extraordinary writing, gripping plot, unforgettable characters and delicious romance.

Roth's prose was sharp and addicting.  It was a fast paced ride that I never wanted to stop reading.  The plot had plenty of surprises yet there was a few twists I saw coming but it was the kind of predictable twists that you completely enjoy.

Tris is a compelling character who I admire.  I like that she was a strong brave kick butt character but yet still had insecurities and doubts making her easy to relate to.   With Four it was love at first sight or rather first read.  Strong, daring (who doesn't like a dare devil), mysterious and HOT.   There is also some intriguing secondary characters like Uriah, Christina and Caleb who I hope we get to see more of in the next instalment.

Tris and Four's relationship was surprisingly sweet and tender yet a little steamy. Their romance was perfectly done so it didn't overwhelm this brilliant story.

Overall, a spectacular debut that left me craving more.  This is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2011.


Overall rating: 5/5                         ***A Favourite Read of 2011***
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 5/5


For more info:  Visit Veronica Roth's website.


For more reviews:  Tales of Compendium, Musing of YA Reader and The Reading Housewives of Indiana

24 comments:

Cass said...

I knew you'd love it. I'm jealous though that you were able to re-read it afterwards! Nice review. Short and sweet does it. :) With a book like this, there's really not much left TO say, eh?

Belle said...

Wow, awesome review! This sounds really interesting, it's not something I would have gone for in the past but my new-found Hunger Games obsession is definitely broadening my reading horizons. I'll have to add it to (the top of) my TBR pile. :)

Jan von Harz said...

This is definitely an amazing book. I have actually been thinking about rereading it myself. I am looking forward to more from Roth!

Misha said...

One of your favorite reads?! Now I definitely have to read this one. That quote is so thought provoking.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I'm so glad you loved this one! And YES, Four = HOT. Romance was definitely delicious, fantastic choice of words ;) Yay for Divergent, and great review as usual, Nic :)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Favorite Read branded is a pretty big deal around here, Nic.

And Four is already making quite the name for himself. His awesomeness is becoming legendary.

Gawd, now I'm super nervous to read this book. Leave it to me to be the only person on the planet who won't like it. Regardless of my silly fears, I can't wait to read it.

Jenny said...

MUST READ THIS! I don't want to be out of the Divergent/Tris/Four loop anymore! This book just sounds amazing, and you and I have similar taste Nic so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this one! Hmm..maybe work doesn't need to get done today;)

Alix said...

Brilliant review, I agree with everything and Four is smoking hot, love him.

Savannah said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK! It is so freaking awesome! Glad you love it too! So you gotta tell us, which fraction are you?

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Wooohooo! Have this one sitting on my besside table and can't wait to dive in! Sounds like it's got a bit of everything! Wish I could go home and read RIGHT NOW.

Nic, your review just tortured me! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing, and that quote great.
I think I'm going to make my dystopian read of next year (I only read one a year :P)

Thanks for the super awesome review

Jenny N. said...

I still need to read this. It seems like everyone has read Divergent except me--my cousin has read it and even my little sis has too.

Leanna Elle said...

I have yet to read a YA dystopian that I've really loved (Matched and Delirium didn't quite do it for me), but I'm thinking this might be THE ONE!

Great review. Love the sound of the delicious romance, too! :)

Wendy Darling said...

Wow, a favorite! I have been undecided about this one, but your positive thoughts about it make me intrigued. :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I want to read this one so much! LOVE LOVE LOVE that quote. Plus I love a strong female character. Yep... I needs this one!!

Anonymous said...

Ok first off I cant wait to read this!! And second your review was so full of reader loved this it makes me want to read it right now and third...

I LOVE the new layout!!!

Small Review said...

" As soon as I had finished Divergent I re-read it all over again."

Wow, that's saying a lot! Especially considering how long it it. I love the way you describe the romance. That sounds so sweet and perfect but also subtle enough not to overpower the plot. Just how I like it. :)

Rummanah Aasi said...

Fabulous review, Nic! I got this one on my night stand as I type and it's the next one up to read. I CAN'T wait to read it! Your review has gotten me even more excited. :)

Abbey said...

mmm this looks very interesting, it kind of reminds me slightly of The hunger games.
Great review!
I will have to check this book out and add it to my wishlist!
- abbeys bookshelf

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I wanted to re-read it as soon as I finished it as well, but I didn't :( Maybe I should have. One of my favs of 2011 as well! Maybe one of my favs ever! Great review!

Kat said...

Divergent is definitely one of my favorite books of this year, too! It's SO addictive, and both Tris and Four were awesome characters. Great review, and I love the quote. :)

Teddyree said...

OMG everyone loves this. I have to move it to the top of my reading list. Fantastic review Nic!

A Canadian Girl said...

Isn't this one awesome? Tris kind of reminds me a little of Rose although she's obviously less cocky which is probably why I loved her character. I can't wait an entire year for Insurgent!

Unknown said...

I've heard so many good comments regarding this book and would love to read it myself. :)

regards,
charmaine of IT Consulting Dallas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara