Book Review: Friendship on Fire by Danielle Weiler

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Friendship on Fire by Danielle Weiler
Publication Date: March, 2011
Source: From author for a honest review

The first few days of year 12 are disastrous for school captain Daisy Brooks.

But Daisy’s life takes a sudden turn when she is dared by Skye, the leader of the Blonde Brigade, to meet the mysterious, drop-dead gorgeous stranger, Nate, from rival school Addison Grammar. Daisy’s instant attraction to him disrupts her world. But what about her best friend Roman? How will he respond to this intruder?

Daisy is a vulnerable, yet fiery girl going through the chaotic phase between teenage and adulthood. She is about to discover the complexities of relationships, the etiquette of friendship and, most of all, her development as a woman.

Is it too late for Daisy to realise that the choices she makes shapes who she is and who she will become?

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "It was only now, alone in my moment of reminiscence, with the rain drizzling softly on the shack's roof, that I felt the full effects of falling in love with him."

I love the cover line on this book "Tempestuous and vulnerable, Daisy struggles to navigate her way towards adulthood".  I think it sums this story up perfectly.  Friendship on Fire is set over Daisy's final year in high school.  Weiler did a brilliant job of writing a real, honest and emotional tale that captures the good, bad and ugly moments of the phase between teenager and adulthood.  So many of the issues that Daisy had to deal with I did too at the same age especially in regards to romance and friendship.  And as I read along I was like that is exactly how I felt.

Despite it being 471 pages (that is huge for a contemp) it is intensely readable.   Normally I am afraid of books that large but I can say this never dragged for me. There is one point in particular in the story (which I can't talk about since I don't spoil the book) where it completely becomes unputdownable as you want to know how things are going to turn out.

Daisy is a resonant and endearing character.  She is feisty yet a sweetheart and has addiction to lollies especially Redskins (yum!).   I quickly connected with her on a more on depth level.  They are also a interesting bunch of secondary characters that again I don't want to talk about so I don't give anything away.  But let just say some I never trusted, some I loved from the moment they appeared and some completely surprised me in a good way. 

What I adored most about this novel was the outstanding family dynamics.  Daisy comes from a big family consisting of Mum, Dad, Nanna and three older brothers.  I feel in love with them especially her Dad and brothers.  They brought humour and fun but also some good solid advice.  They would have to be one of my favourite literary families ever.

There is plenty of romance which again I can't really talk about (sorry).  But I can tell you there is yummy kisses and great chemistry.

Overall Friendship on Fire is an impressive debut that you really get emotionally invested in.  I can't wait to see what Weiler writes next!

Overall Rating: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 3.5/5

For More Info:  Visit Danielle Weiler's website.

Note: This is an Aussie title.  Great for those of you participating in the Aussie YA Reading Challenge.  Also I will be GIVING AWAY a copy on Thursday (INTERNATIONAL) so keep an eye out for that!

17 comments:

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

First... is Redskins a particular type of lolli?

Okay, I'm curious about the feisty girl, her family and those romantic moments you won't talk about. Hm... I might have to check out this book!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I'm afraid of big books too! haha. What do these lollipops taste like!? Great review!

Rummanah Aasi said...

This one sounds like it's right up my alley. I'm surprised not too many books are written about the last year of high school, it's usually the first 3. I also love great family dynamics, which is so rare in YA. Putting this one on my tbr list. Thanks for a great review, Nic!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

If a book is going to be that big then it better but unputdownable! Love that word by the way.

That transition period in a young girl's life is so confusing, so most of the other stages. It's great to hear that this story explores that in a way that makes it relateable. Another one to add to my list!

Jan von Harz said...

I really love when a contemp novels has a family unit that is supportive and it sounds like this has that and a lot more. The protagonist sounds like a great characters and the book is definitely one I would enjoyed based on your terrific review.

Anonymous said...

Wow- a family present...with a mom and dad not working 24/7 or drug addicts..very rare find in YA lit...:) This does sound really cute maybe it will come to the US soon...

Alix said...

Sounds like a great read, I love when YA books have normal families and I also love yummy kisses :) Thanks for the review. I would have probably overlooked it based on the cover and title

Nomes said...

nic, i pretty much love everything about this review and am pumped about reading it. awesome job :) ~ am also dying to know some spoilers, haha, but will find out for myself :D

Jenny said...

You are a tease Nic! How can you tell me there's yummy kisses and then leave it at that? It's just cruel;) The family dynamics aspect is really appealing to me, so many times the families are left out of YA entirely, so I'm loving that more and more books are starting to have interesting family relationships included:)

A Canadian Girl said...

I'm scared to read big books too but I'm glad this one was worth it. YA authors definitely need to spend more time developing a good family dynamics so I'll be adding this one to my wishlist for sure. Thanks for the review, Nic!

Leanna Elle said...

I hadn't heard of this one before your review! I will add it to my contemp list and keep an eye out for that giveaway! :)

Misha said...

A great female protagonist,family dynamics and a great romance - sounds like a perfect combination! I will be adding this to my TBR!

Jenny N. said...

Wow that is huge for a comtempt. Great review! I love seeing the family dynamics and the quirks they have around each other.

Savannah said...

I have seen this book around and having been wanting to read it. Thanks for the review!

Deborah A. said...

I just finished this book the other day and thought it was fantastic! Definitely worth the read.

Abbey said...

This looks really good! I hope i can get it at my book store. Great review by the way, i wouldn't of heard about this book otherwise.

danielle weiler said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments of support! :) This is by far the nicest blog I've ever been to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara