Saltwater Moons by Julie Gittus

Monday, April 11, 2011

Saltwater Moons by Julie Gittus
Published: August, 2008
Source: Gifted

Goodreads Description: In the beginning it seems so simple. A poem in the mail. A weekend invitation to the coast. But when Sun says yes to a midnight walk, her life becomes suddenly complicated. Saltwater Moons tells the story of Sun Langley during her final months of Year Twelve. There's the intensity of her first relationship, complicated by the fact she continues to exchange poems with her boyfriend's best mate. It's a story about love and betrayal, about constantly longing for the things we can't have.

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "Time stretched, expanded so there was just him and me and the closeness, and I thought how it was all very well to tell yourself what you should and shouldn't feel but in the end the should word didn't make the slightest scrap of difference."

Saltwater Moons is a beautiful and touching coming of age story.  It is a story about being young making mistakes and how we learn and change from them for the better.

First up, the writing is gorgeous.  There is poetry scattered within it's page.  It is a gentle kind of prose that subtly effects your emotions.   Just absolutely beautiful writing.

"A quietness descended between us, a stillness I didn't know how to break."

"But plans come to nothing when your story unravels in a direction you never imagined."

And Gittus voice reflect true life especially when it comes to sex, dating and friendships.  She handles these issues with such honesty that is sometimes missing from YA.

Saltwater Moons is a character driven novel and all are well written (even the one I didn't like).  Sun is easy to relate too and someone you care about as she struggles with her relationships - romantic, friendship and family.   She has a romantic soul and a character who makes mistakes.   Stupid mistakes like we all do as a teen.  But in the end we learn from them as did Sun.    Tycho, gorgeous, artistic type of soul who isn't without his flaws.  However he paints, makes music, knows poetry and can surf ~swoons~.  Mark though is one of the biggest jerks I have read in a while.  I really, really, really disliked him but they are plenty of guys out there like that in real life.

Overall,  Saltwater Moons is an impressive and eloquent story.  I am definitely excited to see what Gittus has in store for us next.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 5/5

For More info:  Visit Julie Gittus' website.

For More reviews:  Inkcrush

20 comments:

Cass said...

Aww Nic! I already had the impression that this book was great, and now I can say that this book sounds perfect for me. I especially need more Aussie lit in my book diet. ;)

Misha said...

It seems that all of Aussie YA lit is fabulous! I have not read a single bad review! After reading Nomes' and your review for the book, I really want to read Saltwater Moons.

Jan von Harz said...

Between the quotes and your description of this book, I am once again wishing I was able to get my hands on books by Aussie authors. Sadly, this one is not available at Amazon or Book Depository. Wonderful review.

Teddyree said...

Wow Nic, I'm not familiar with this title but it's going on my wishlist. Nothing I love more than a character driven novel with honest and eloquent writing. Excellent review!

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

This sounds amazing! I'm definitely adding it to my to read list :)

Nomes said...

this review is just gorgeous nic

Nina said...

I haven't heard of this book before, so thanx for reviewing it. It sounds great, another one to add to the list. ;)

Elodie said...

I hadn't heard of this book until now .. so thank you Nic because it sees really good adn I lvoe the cover !! Thanks for the review ;)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Lovely review Nic. I makes me all wistful. I'm looking forward to meeting these characters. Just as much as I love swooning over boys I also love it when I meet a boy that makes my blood boil.

Jenny said...

Sounds like a beautiful story! I like that she treats relationships and sex with honesty and doesn't gloss over it or avoid it all together. I'm loving the sound of Tycho as well, he sounds yummy:) Fabulous review Nic!

Leanna Elle said...

I've wanted to read this one ever since I read Nomes review, and now I wanted to read it even more after reading your great review!

Unfortunately this is another one I can't get over here! Boo!

A.J. said...

Really great review; I can't wait to read it. :)

Savannah said...

After reading a few Aussie books I so totally plan on buying more! I heard about this one and I really want to read it. Great review!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Love the title of this book. Really sounds like a good read too. Oh I need to meet Tycho!

Kat said...

Beautiful review. :) I've actually been lusting over this one-- I wish international publishing companies would pick more Aussie books up! The other one I've been eying for a while is Burn Bright, and I just read that St Martins in the US has picked it up-- yay! Have you read that one, Nic?

A Canadian Girl said...

This one seems like a great story and since I enjoy character driven novels, I'll be adding it to my wishlist. Tycho sounds like a potential book boyfriend to me :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds great - though at first I thought it was a sequel to Saltwater Vampires. Maybe featuring werewolves... There's an idea for a book! Aussie surfer werewolves!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Love surfer boys! Great review Nic! :)

Jenny N. said...

I know that this is an Aussie read and it sounds really good to me. I hope I get a chance to read it or I might just order a copy online.

Small Review said...

I really enjoyed you review. The book sounds nice and real. I like the quotes you pulled out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara