Book Review: This Side of The Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Saturday, April 23, 2011


This Side of The Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Published: 22nd February, 2011
Source: Bought

Danger waits on both sides of the grave.
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

My Review:

Favourite Quote: "Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.”

This Side of The Grave was a blast to read!  It is full of action and adventure, smexy romance and plenty of laugh out loud moments.

Frost writing has great pacing constantly keeping you on the edge of your seat while being entertained especially by the dialogue full of humour.  I don't think this This Side of The Grave is the strongest plot wise in the series but still it is good.  Frost still manages to come up with interesting ways to keep Cat and Bones and the gang in danger.

My favourite thing about this book and the whole series is the characters.  My friend Tina ~waves~ uses this term "it is like visiting old friends" and I think that is what reading this series is like.  Cat and Bones is one of the most amusing couples.  I love their playful yet sweet relationship.  They still have a great spark even though this is book 5.   Although some of their sexy time had me laughing so bad that I had to but the book down and until I got it together again.   And how could forget the distinctive bunch of secondary characters especially Vlad.  I love the witty banter between all the characters.

Overall, if you looking for a fun, fast paced and sizzling paranormal adult read, then I suggest giving this series a try.  

Overall Rating: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 4/5

For More Info: Visit Jeaniene Frost's website.

For  More Reviews: The Unread Reader & Supernatural Snark.

Check out the cover for book 6 One Grave At A Time!  Can't wait for more.

19 comments:

Tahlia said...

I always like a bit of laughter in a read. Somthing to ease the dark. I think I'll check out this series. I like the way you give different ratings for different aspects of the book too, that's really helpful.

Julie said...

Book 6 cover is stunning. Love the sparkle quote! I must read these books. I'm at the library tomorrow. I will see if they have it!

Ange said...

I LOVE this series. It's one of my ultimate favourites. But I haven't had a chance to read this one yet. Thanks for the review =)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I have this one on my tbr but haven't gotten to it just yet. I can't wait. Oh I loved that quote. Too good!

Savannah said...

I think that I will alwas adore Cat and Bones! I have been in love with Bones since the ver first time he spoke. I'm glad that Cat grew up a little, but I like her snap desicions better. great review!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Reading a NH book is like visiting old friends. I'm constantly surprised by how attached I've become to them, and how much I've missed them without realizing it.

I love the new cover! I'm glad we don't have to wait long for the next book!

Misha said...

Love that quote! I really want to read the series - I keep on hearing so much about Cat and Bones. An edge of the seat book mixed with humor sounds like a great combination to me.

Jenny N. said...

I've heard so many good things about this series. I'd love to read it one day if only I had more time.

Nomes said...

haha, no spoiler on this one :)

love how you review other titles that aren't just YA (I have been doing that a bit lately :)

Elodie said...

I read the first two books of the series last year in French and I loved them !! I'm planning to buy the entire series in English and read it this Summer .. I just can't wait to re-meet Bones and Cat !! =)

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

LOL I feel like that quote alone might convince me to read this series, but I don't really have a interest in adult paranormal. I'll keep this in mind though :) Great review!
PS~ I wonder who this week's Book Boyfriend will be! I'll bet you'll be able to dig up some shirtless pics for Bones :P

A Canadian Girl said...

I don't read adult novels but this series sounds super fun. I had to laugh at the quote you picked. Great review, Nic!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Bahahaha epic quote. I love that you obviously enjoyed the book :)

Abbey said...

Im reading this one at the moment, its such a good series!

Teddyree said...

I bought this one when it came out but haven't had a chance to read it. So glad Cat and Bones haven't lost their touch!

Jan von Harz said...

After finishing up the Fever series and loving it I am rethinking only reading YA. This sounds like a series I would thoroughly enjoy. Loved the quote. Great review!

Jenny said...

Oh Cat and Bones, how I love you:) I never tire of Jeaniene Frost and her characters, they're just hilarious. I can't wait for Vlad's books, he's going to be so much fun to read about! Fantastic review Nic, so glad you enjoy these books as much as I do:)

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

This book sounds amazing! I keep hearing great things about this series. The sparkling line is hilarious :D

Miss Page-Turner said...

Everyone keeps saying that I need to read this series and I think I should buy them soon. Really like your review! I'll get them for my summer vacation, so I got 3 three weeks to read the whole series in a row.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara