Book Review: Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton
Publication Date: 3rd May, 2011
Source: S&S Galley Grab

Anna is dreading another tourist-filled summer on Dune Island that follows the same routine: beach, ice cream, friends, repeat. That is, until she locks eyes with Will, the gorgeous and sweet guy visiting from New York. Soon, her summer is filled with flirtatious fun as Anna falls head over heels in love.
But with every perfect afternoon, sweet kiss, and walk on the beach, Anna can’t ignore that the days are quickly growing shorter, and Will has to leave at the end of August. Anna’s never felt anything like this before, but when forever isn’t even a possibility, one summer doesn’t feel worth the promise of her heart breaking….

My Review:


Wow! What an awesome debut.  This book if full of things I love - ice cream, sweet yet delicious kisses, hot summer days, ice cream, the beach and did I mention ice cream!

Sixteenth Summer is a feel good read from start to finish.  The kind of book you devour in a couple of hours and grin the whole way through.  The writing is a style that makes for an effortless read.  Dalton also had great eye for detail when it came to describing the beautiful beach side setting and obviously the delicious ice cream since I keep mentioning it.  Seriously there is a lot of ice cream in this book!  It also has great characterization.   Anna is the type of character who reminds you how wonderful it was to be sixteen.  And Will he is just gorgeous and so sweet.

The romance is how you imagine the perfect summer love.  Seriously I don't think first love gets any sweeter than this book.  It is the kind of love most girls dream of.   It might be a little unrealistic but it didn't stop me from going awwwwww the whole way through.

Overall, Sixteenth Summer is the perfect summer read.  So for those of you in the northern hemisphere this is a must have for your beach bag this summer.  And for us over here in the southern hemisphere this is a must have to make you feel all warm and fuzzy this winter.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 5/5

For more info:  Visit Simon & Schuster

22 comments:

Elodie said...

I hadn't heard of this one until now so thank you Nic .. I've added to my wishlist and I'm planning to buy it soon and read it on the beach ;)

Ange said...

Great review!! Sounds like my sort of book, I will definitely be putting it onto my TBR list =)

Chel said...

Thanks for the review! I was looking for something to download from galley grab. And good thing I saw your review. This looks very fun indeed. I love ice cream too. And another WILL! I'm getting obsessed with characters named Will. Most of them are just yummy!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Awww, sounds like this one is awesome!! I want to read it soon!

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

Ooo thanks for the heads up Nic :D

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Sign me up for some delicious ice cream kisses! Great idea. I will definitely put this one in my beach bag!

Misha said...

It's already summer in my country (and very hot too!), so I guess it will be a perfect read for now. Also, who wouldn't love a book that involves ice-cream? :D Thanks for the wonderful review, Nic!

Chachic said...

This looks like something that I'd enjoy reading so I'm adding it to my wishlist. I hope I could read it before summer ends here in the Philippines.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I thought all of the same things! I kept craving ice cream and sweet tea! I was smiling though this whole book as well! Great review Nic! :)

Jenny said...

I can tell this book is going to have me craving ice cream:) I love books that make me go "awww" and keep a big groofy grin on my face the whole time, even if they're aren't all that realistic. Who needs realism when there's adorably sweet summer love and ice cream?

Leanna Elle said...

I must have missed this one on Galley Grab - at least I don't think I have it on my reader. It sounds like a wonderful summer read!

A Canadian Girl said...

I haven't heard of this one but it truly does sound like a great summer read. It's still cold these days but you've got me craving ice-cream. I guess adding this one to my wishlist will have to do for now :)

Alix said...

Oh sounds like a perfect beach read for me (hopefully I will make it to the beach this year!) Thanks for the review :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I don't have beach reads... but mountain reads... or even reservoir read (I need to get myself to the coast!) :) I don't need it to be real if I go awww. I read to escape reality sometimes so that is fine. :)

Ann Summerville said...

I've started my summer read collection, thanks for the review.
Ann

Nomes said...

i'm pretty much completely excited for this one.

perfect review nic :D

Julie said...

This definitely sounds like a romantic summer read! It's nice that it was good from start to finish. That's always a plus!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Definitely seems like the type of book I'd pick up if I'm in the mood, I'd love to just create a list of "feel-good" books someday, that way I'll always have some sort of pick-me-up. Wonderful review, adding this to my wishlist!

Savannah said...

I totall agree that it is a great summer book!I fell in lovew ith this couple! Such young love makes my heart bursts! Great review!

Jenny N. said...

I've set aside a pile of summer reads for this summer and this sounds like another perfect read for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

Yay! Great review :) I'm definitely keeping that book in mind for whenever I want someone sweet :) Summer's coming soon (at least on this hemisphere haha) so this is perfect :)

Small Review said...

With every new review I see of this book I keep kicking myself for not snagging it through GG. Darn! Your review has convinced me to look for it elsewhere. I so want a summer romance that will make me say awwwww the whole way through!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara