Clarity by Kim Harrington

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Clarity by Kim Harrington
Publication date: 1st March, 2011
Source: Bought


When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

My Review:

Favourite Quote: "Listen, I gather you have a problem working with a psychic. Believe me, I don't like working with a jackass any better."

Loved it! Clarity is an awesome debut.   It is a hypnotic and intriguing read that I could not get enough of. 

Harrington's effortless style makes for entertaining and absorbing escape.  I love the premise of Clarity.  Clare's gift is retcocognitive psychometry - picking up imprints from objects.  She uses her gift to help solve the murder of a teenage girl working alongside her ex-boyfriend and the new sheriff's son (aka new hottie in town).   It's pages are full of mystery and suspense and I was unable to guess who the killer was.  I thought it was going to be predictable but there was a twist or two that I didn't expect.

Clare is awesome. Feisty, determined and instantly likeable.  I love a character that sticks up for herself.   She might be bullied but she doesn't take their crap laying down.  Clare doesn't mind saying what is on her mind or giving the occasionally elbow to the stomach.

There is a love triangle and it actually worked.  Probably because I couldn't pick between the two guys either, Justin and Gabriel, and also because Clare handled it the right way.   Plus I like the fact that it isn't typical bad boy vs good boy.  Both are just normal guys who make mistakes but have good hearts (and gorgeous as well which never hurts).

My only tiny little complaint with this book is the thriller part could have been a little scarier.  I was surprised but it didn't get my pulse pounding. 

Overall, Clarity had everything I was looking for in a fun reading escape - great characters, fantastic premises and left me with a craving for more.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Writing: 4.5/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 4/5
Cover: 5/5

For More Info: Visit Kim Harrington's website.

For More Reviews:  Eating YA Books and  Dreaming of Books

20 comments:

Jennifer said...

Every review I read of Clarity makes me want to read it even more! And I need to know more about these gorgeous men! Ha!

Great review! (:

Jan von Harz said...

I really love this book and am anxious for more about Clare and her family. Also want to see what happens with the love triangle. Great review, loved that quote!

Misha said...

That's a funny quote! An interesting premise and two gorgeous boys - what more can one want! :)

Elodie said...

I haven't heard anything negative about this book so far .. It seems awesome ! I really can't wait to read this one !! Thansk for the review Nic ;)

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

All I've heard is good reviews for this book. I can't wait to read it :)Nice quote too :P xo

Jenny said...

Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one too Nic! I agree with your entire review - loved Clare and how she handled both boys, and I loved that both boys were appealing but had definite flaws. I hope we get another book with the three of them:)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Woo Hoo! This review makes me happy. I just won a copy of this book and I'm super excited about it. I already love the cover and the trailer.

Yup, gorgeous never hurts, and I'm eager to see how Clare handles it.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I love that quote!! I have this one my tbr and I can't wait to get to it. I love the way you describe Claire. Oh I need to read this ASAP!!

Savannah said...

I so need to pick up this book! Great review! I have heard lots of good things about it!

Jenny N. said...

Both boys are great and I can't pick either. I'm looking forward to how the love triangle will progress in bk 2.

Alix said...

Ooh this sounds great and I do love a love triangle! I'll have to read it just to see if I get scared, I am such a wimp I bet I do :)

Great review :)

Small Review said...

I just finished Clarity today and I couldn't agree with you more! I enjoyed every aspect of this book. Clare is a total BFF character for me.

Kat said...

This one sounds great-- kind of like the Body Finder with a love triangle and a heroine who isn't helpless like Violet. :) Awesome review, and glad you enjoyed it.

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

I've only heard good things about this book. The premise sounds awesome and I love the quote you chose :)

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

No one can choose between either guy! I think that's great since I wasn't alone in thinking that! Great review Nic! :)

Nina said...

I cannot wait to read this book. Sounds so good. And Clare sounds so awesome. :) Finally someone who stands up for her self. :)

A.J. said...

Great review, Nic! I enjoyed this one as well, and I didn't mind the love-triangle either. :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Im glad you liked it. I just got my shinny new copy a few days ago...must read now...!!

A Canadian Girl said...

I finally managed to order this one from Book Depository and can't wait to get around to reading it after I get it delivered. I'm not typically a fan of love triangles but everyone seems to agree that the one in Clarity is done pretty well. Great review, Nic!

Leanna Elle said...

I really like the sound of this one, and glad to hear the love triangle works!! I have a copy of this - still haven't gotten around to reading it! Must do soon!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara