The Goddess Test

Monday, March 14, 2011


The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Expected publication date: 19th April, 2011
Source: ARC provided thanks to Harlequin Teen (netgalley)

Goodreads Description: Every girl who has taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


My Review:

The Goddess Test is an awesome debut.  It was a hypnotic yet comfortable read where the pages just flew by.

It is such an eloquently written story that I am surprised that this is Aimee Carter's debut novel.  It is just a seamless read and a really remarkable debut.  And the premises was incredible.  I loved the way the mythology was weaved into the plot.  It was creative, unique and easy to follow.  And for a book that is part of a series is has a completely satisfying ending. YAY!

Kate, the female protagonist is a likeable and endearing character.  She is a compassionate and caring person who will sacrifice anything for those she cares about.   And there is a wide variety of secondary characters that are well rounded and entertaining.  Okay there were also a couple I found annoying like Ava but overall it was a good bunch of a characters.  I especially like James (not a love interest, just a friend....well at least at this stage).  He is a little bit different and a mysterious character that I hope we get to see more of in the next installment.

The romance was sweet and tender but it lacked a little spark as did Henry.  He was a nice guy who I liked but he lacked that something special to make him standout at this stage from all those literary leading men.  I really hope that in second book he opens up more as a character and then I am sure I will be swooning. 

Overall, The Goddess Test has a very familiar paranormal romance feel to it but yet it is different enough to be memorable and a highly enjoyable read.   I am certainly eagerly anticipating the next instalment in the series.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 3/5
Cover: 5/5

For more info:  Visit Aimee Carter's website.

For More reviews: I Swim For Oceans and Goodreads.

23 comments:

Savannah said...

I requested this one! I am crossing my fingers I a get approved. It sounds great. Thanks for the review!

Misha said...

The Goddess Test has a very unique premise. I got accepted on Netgalley for the book. Thanks for the review!

Rachel said...

Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this one, I've heard such great reviews for it.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I did love this book too! I think I needed to read more about the romance...tons of time was skipped at points so maybe that's why we read less about it and didn't feel as much of a connection.

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

Thank you for your review! Sigh. April can't come soon enough :)

Jenny said...

I was sold at "completely satisfying ending":) Despite the lack of romantic spark, this one sounds amazing, I can't wait to read! I'm such a huge fan of Greek mythology:) Really nice review Nic!

Anonymous said...

Sweetly review...:D

I just started this last night, Im at the part where Ava is wearing the pink dress. Im liking it so far..and I love greek mythology.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Loved this review! A bit sad about the romance not being all 'there', but I'm glad to see the rest of the story rocks. I am reading this soon, too - can't wait to compare notes! Are there pomegranates? I love that part of the myth!

Nina said...

Even though the romance missed something and Henry needs to open up more, I'm looking forward reading this one. ;) Sounds fab!

Jenny N. said...

I've been reading lots of books lately that end on a cliffhanger so good to know that it has a satisfying ending. I would have thought Henry would be more of a bad boy with him being Hades and all but he still sounds like he has potential to be a great love interest.

Anonymous said...

great review! must read this one.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Yay! I'm glad for your seal of approval on TGT one because I'm excited to read it. The mythology sounds great. Though I just finished a book in which the love interest didn't really work for me either, so I may have to wait a bit before I get to this one.

Thanks Nic.

Julie said...

This definitely sounds like a promising series. I'm glad the ending is satisfying and doesn't leave with a huge cliffhanger. I've read similar comments about Ava. Greek mythology books are in right now. I love this cover! It's so lush and beautiful. Fab review :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

YES! I'm glad. I need a good read and I have this at netgalley waiting for me. Thanks for the fab review!

A Canadian Girl said...

Ooh, great review Nic! I'm looking forward to getting started on this one soon.

Nomes said...

another awesome review. I've never read a mythological kinda contmp thingy (you know what I mean, I've gone brain dead)

xx

Teddyree said...

Great review, I think I might have this one at Netgalley too :) I hear you about the satisfying ending even though it's part of a series ... thats definitely quite 'novel' lol

Jen (Makeshift Bookmark) said...

I'm reading this right now and really enjoying it. I'll probably still be buying a copy because that cover is GAWGEOUS. Loved your review, Nic <3

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Oh, I am SO glad to hear you enjoyed it, Nic! I, too, just loved it...I thought it was a fresh and fierce debut, and I loved the strength of the MC. Definitely haunting! Awesome review :)

brandileigh2003 said...

This sounds awesome! Thanks for the review. I have from netgalley but need to get to it SOON.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Small Review said...

Wonderful review! I completely agree with you about her writing and what you said about Henry. I do wish the mythological parts were more, I don't know, obvious? That could just be me being dense though :P

Leanna Elle said...

Glad you enjoyed this one (probably means I will too!) :) Hmmm..hope Henry isn't too much of a let down for me though. I'm planning on requesting this one soon, so hope I get approved! I've been hearing lots of good things. :)

Candace said...

I just finished this one this morning. I felt the same way as you. I really really enjoyed it, the only downside for me was that connection with Henry. I think by the end I was feeling him more though, it just took awhile. Overall I loved this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara