Kissing Annabel by Steven Herrick

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kissing Annabel: Love, Ghosts & Facial Hair  & A Place Like This
by Steven Herrick
Published: January, 2007
Source: Bought
Australian title that is available internationally

Goodreads Description: Love's a curious thing.  Jack is an average sixteen-year-old. He's obsessed with sex, sports, and his maturing body. He's got a lot on his plate, but one issue is constantly on his mind: his mother's death. It's been seven years, but Jack has yet to let her go....That is, until he meets Annabel. Annabel is beautiful, smart, and most important, she gets Jack. Suddenly love makes sense, and the future seems hopeful. And for the first time, Jack feels ready to leave the past where it belongs.

My Review:

I am big fan of verse books.   I discovered Steven Herrick's brilliant writing earlier this year and since then I have made it my goal to read all of his books this year.  Kissing Annabel is another heartfelt and humourous tale from this very talented Australian author.

This book is two related previous release stories put together Love, Ghosts & Facial Hair and A Place Like This.  Both have the same main character Jack.  Again like Herrick's other novels it has great charactization.  Jack is a fresh, unique and a little bit of a quirky character.  He is very entertaining but also a character you care about.

The writing is gorgeous.  Herrick knows how to make the simplest of sentences sound beautiful as there is so much emotion with each line that he delivers.

The only problem I had with this book was the switching of narration.  It switches narration randomly and I have to admit it got a bit confusing.

Overall, Kissing Annabel is an enjoyable read that is sure to keep fans of verse books entertained.  And on that note I will leave you with a favourite passage of mine:

He needs his ghost
whispering through the house
arranging the days into sequence.
I climb down from the roof
and walk around our yard.
I am alone
the only ghost I hear is the wind
I walk along Narrowneck Road
past Annabel's house
down to Landslide Cliff
and for the last time
I shout the ghost's name
and turn
without waiting for the echo.
(page 115)

Overall Rating: 4/4
Writing: 4/5
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 4/5
Romance: 3.5/5
Cover: 4/5

For More Info:  Visit Steven Herrick's website.

For More reviewsGoodreads

12 comments:

Misha said...

I have not read many verse books, but I really want to read Kissing Annabel. I am glad that it's available internationally.

Savannah said...

Wow, this sounds like a great book! I totally want to read this already! Great review! it has definitely caught my interest!!

Jenny said...

I've never read a book in verse before, but his writing is very beautiful so maybe I should give it a try. The narration issue seems a little frustrating and I would probably get a bit confused as well, but overall this sounds like a good read. Thanks Nic!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I'm like Jenny, never read a verse book. Well, I've tried and just wasn't able to get into it.

That said, I'd still like to give this one a try, but now I'm curious about the previous books too.

Thanks for adding more Aussie titles to my wishlist with your great reviews, Nic. As you know I've been craving more.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

I've tried one verse book (Make Lemonade) - it was good, but I still prefer regular prose, but the excerpt that you shared makes this one sound really lovely and enticing.

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

I've never read a verse book. It sounds like something I would love for a couple of pages, but not an entire book. But since I've never tried it, I can't really say. I'm adding this to my to-read list, and if I ever want something different, I'll be sure to start with this one.

Jenny N. said...

I've read a couple verse books but none from this author so will have to see if my library has any of his books or not.

Nina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nina said...

I only have tried and read one verse book and I have to admit I didn't enjoy reading it. ;) I don't think I will try this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh (swoon) I love that cover. Im such a sucker for first love, romance and all of that. I cant wait to read this, thanks for the review!!

Nomes said...

love this review Nic. I LOVE steven herrick. Have you read By The River? That's a really good one as well ~ and I liked Cold Skin (a kind of murder mystery)

Ginny said...

Sounds like a good book - I'm fan of verse books, too! Will Definitely have to check out the author - thans for writing this review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara