Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott

Monday, March 21, 2011

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott
Publication Date: March, 2008
Source:  Bought

Goodreads Description:  Kate Brown's life has gone downhill fast.
Her father has quit his job to sell vitamins at the mall, and Kate is forced to work with him. Her best friend has become popular, and now she acts like Kate's invisible.

And then there's Will. Gorgeous, unattainable Will, whom Kate acts like she can't stand even though she can't stop thinking about him. When Will starts acting interested, Kate hates herself for wanting him when she's sure she's just his latest conquest.
Kate figures that the only way things will ever stop hurting so much is if she keeps to herself and stops caring about anyone or anything. What she doesn't realize is that while life may not always be perfect, good things can happen -- but only if she lets them....

My Review:

Favourite Quote:  You tell yourself you aren't something or that you can't be something and you know what? It will become true. You have to decide who you are and what you can do and then go after what you want. Because believe me, no one is going to give it to you."

Okay, first up I have to admit I am on a bit of Elizabeth Scott binge at the moment.   I just love the way her books make you feel - happy yet your heart aches a little at the same time.  And Perfect You is a perfect example of that.

Like I have said before Scott writing is stunning.  Her voice is so true to life.  She deals with some compelling issues with honesty and heart.  Her characters always draw you into their world and are unforgettable.

Kate, is a character that I just get.   So easy for me personally to connect with. She is someone who doesn't realise her own self worth.  She pushes Will away because she doesn't think he is really into her and doesn't trust him.  She believes that Anna can be her bestfriend again even though she treats Kate horribly.  Her family is falling apart and she feels like she has no-one to turn too.  I know that these actions might annoy some people but not me.   I think this makes Kate more realistic.   And Will, I adore.   Completely irresistible (and yes book boyfriend material).  I love, love, love the playful banter between him and Kate.  The really had great chemistry.

"Kate, don't be like that. You know I only did so well because I yearn-see, SAT word- to follow you to college and steal your heart."
"Uh-huh. Too bad for you I don't plan on attending clown college."
He grinned. "Only you would ignore the incredibly sweet thing I just said."
"Only you would describe one of your asinine comments as incredibly sweet."

"I know you secretly have being dying to check me out"
"All right, you caught me. I'm secretly obsessed with you and spend all my free time writing about you in my journal. 'Dear Diary, today Will was an ass for the 467th day in a row. He's so dreamy"

Want to know my favourite part of this book?  The yummy kissing scenes. Before reading Perfect You Alexa and Nomes did mention some delicious kissing (and this may have been the main reason I desperately ran out and bought a copy) and they were right.  I just love the build up and the tenderness of those moments between Kate and Will.  They are one of my all time favourite couples.

Overall, Perfect You is a charming and clever read that I couldn't get enough of.  If you love a good coming of age story with a nice touch of romance then you shouldn't miss this.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

For More info:  Visit Elizabeth Scott's website.

For more reviews:  Goodreads

20 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

Scott is a wonderful writer and her characters are always very real and relatable. I will be looking forward to hearing more about Will on the Book Boyfriend (especially the kissing scene) Great review!

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

Great review! I've never read an Elizabeth Scott novel before. I think I might need to go on my own binge for them soon.

Nomes said...

You know I love this book.

The kisses are just so charming and tingly and perfect.

I have lost count of how many times I've thumbed through the book to my fave parts.

Even thinking about it now makes me want to get my copy out again.

Leanna Elle said...

Perfect kissing scenes and a new all time favourite couple! I think I need to run out and buy this one too!

I've never read Elizabeth Scott before, but I think I need to since you are loving her books so much!!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Kate and Will. One of your all time favorite couples? Wow! Okay, now I want to run out and read it because of the delicious kissing scene. And I love it when the banter between two characters seems organic and natural instead of forced. I love that quote from Will. "yearn-see, SAT word-"

Clever boy!

Nic, please stop reading all these great books that I feel forced to add to my massive TBR pile. I'm a PNR reader. I swear! I don't like Contemp fic. I don't. My vampires miss me.

Okay.. well at least I tried to convince myself. Even if I failed miserably! ;)

Small Review said...

Perfect kissing scenes caught my attention :) Usually contemporary isn't my thing, but contemporary romance IS my thing :)

Jenny said...

This one does sound good, I'm a fan of yummy kissing scenes, especially after all the tension filled banter! Adding yet another book to the list, thanks Nic:)

Misha said...

I like yummy kissing scenes :D I really need to start reading Elizabeth Scott's books. Great review!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Elizabeth Scott is a genius, pure and simple. She has this way of spinning tension and making into the most gorgeous and sweet scenes! I'm so glad to hear you loved this, Nic! Awesome review :)

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

Oh, you. You are going to make me go broke, aren't you?

After reading Stealing Heaven, I'm really curious about Scott's other books. I'm adding this to my never-ending to read list.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

I have never read a book by her, and now I need to for this quote alone: "Dear Diary, today Will was an ass for the 467th day in a row. He's so dreamy" Muhahahahahahaha! Looooove it! Thanks, Nic!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Hm... I'm thinking of adding to my contemporary YA so I'll be adding this author to my list. Man, this sounds perfect for some nights when I do want tension, but sweetness. Perfect!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I'm scared I won't like this because it feels like I was one of the very few who hated Bloom... but i've just heard so many great things! Hopefully my library can get it in soon, thanks for the great review!

Jenny N. said...

Kate and Will sound like a great couple. I swear one of these days I will read an Elizabeth Scott book.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Seriously!? I keep checking books out from the library or buying them because of your reviews! I guess that good, right? I read Stealing Heaven and loved it, still need to write a review for it. I'm gonna make sure I have this Elizabeth Scott book on my to read list and see if it's available at my library, great review!

Anonymous said...

a 5/5 from Nic...well it must be great then. Seriously Elizabeth can write about anything..her books are great

A Canadian Girl said...

I knew you would think Will was book boyfriend material! This one was the first of Scott's novels I read and I immediately fell in love with her writing. Great review, Nic!

Miss Page-Turner said...

I put it on my wishlist. Your reviews always make me want to read the books so badly. And the kissing scenes sound yummy!

mfay2 said...

I have this book for trade Twitter @mfay2, check my Goodreads wishlist. US. I tried to like the book :/

Michael said...

New procedures and equipment are being introduced almost daily. As we all know, RNs supervise licensed practical nurses (LPNs) and certified nursing assistants (CNAs). Even so, it would be wise to research available nursing programs in order to find the best and more affordable. Negligence and abuse is illegal and if your loved one is a victim of these insidious crimes, they may well be entitled to compensation for their pain and suffering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara