Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

Thursday, March 10, 2011


Published:  June, 2008
My name is Danielle. I'm eighteen. I've been stealing things for as long as I can remember.
Dani has been trained as a thief by the best there is—her mother. They never stay in one place long enough for Dani to have real connections, real friends—a real life.
But in the town of Heaven, everything changes. Suddenly, Dani must question where her loyalties lie: with the life she's always known—or the one she's always wanted.

My Review:

Favourite Quote: "The story of my life can be told in silver; in chocolate mill, serving spoons, and service for twelve.  The story of my life has nothing to do with me.  The story of my life is things.  Things that aren't mine, that won't ever be mine.  It's all I've ever know.  I wish it wasn't."

Three words - I LOVED IT!  Stealing Heaven is my kind of book.  It has a happy and fun feel but also has depth and heart and has one of the most delicious romances I have read in a while.

We all know that Elizabeth Scott is a talented writer.   I have read a couple of her books before and enjoyed them but Stealing Heaven is definitely my favourite.  Probably because pretty much the whole way through I had a goofy grin on my face.   The writing is just so effortless to read and hooks you straight in.  It is also so perfectly paced - you are excited for the next page but never feel rushed.  And the characters you just click with. 

Dani, awww I want to hug her.  Her life is pretty sad to begin with.  She is closed off from the world and has missed out on her teens years (no friends, no relationships, no school, no home) because of her mother and the life they live as thieves.  I loved watching her grow and come to realise what she really wants.  And also beginning to stand up for herself with her mother (I was cheering at that part).

Now Dani's mother, I can definitely say she is going on my most disliked parent list.  I know that she thought what she did was the best thing for Dani but I all I could think was how selfish she was. 

Greg is such a strong supporting character.  You just have to say his name and the above mentioned goofy grin appears on my face.  Just a great guy.  I like that he never gave up on Dani no matter how much she tried to push him away and also that he had made mistakes in his past which helped him be more believable as character.

The romance is so gorgeously written.  It comes gently and naturally and very very slowly builds up to that first kiss so that you are screaming KISS NOW!  Dani and Greg just had brilliant chemistry.

"Hey," he says, and leans over, brushes his thumb across my mouth.  "You'll figure it out."  I nod caught by that simple touch.  By how good it feels.  Being with him makes the whole world sharper somehow.  More real.  More everything."

Overall, Stealing Heaven is a sweet and real read that is a perfect escape for a few hours.  I am off now to squeeze it onto my favourite's shelf.

And again a big thank you to Nomes ((hugs)) for recommending me another brilliant book!

Overall Rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

For More Reviews: Persnickety Snark and Steph Su Reads

For More Info:  Visit Elizabeth Scott's website.

I am in a romance mood at the moment.  Does anyone else have any books they recommend?  I would love to hear your suggestions.

23 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Oh man, I really should start reading (more) Elizabeth Scott, I've only read 2 (loved one, hated one), but I have Grace from the library and will be reading that super soon! I don't really know if her fun contemp books work for me, but after such positive reviews from you, I should definitely give them another go. Thanks for the review Nic!

Misha said...

I have not read anything by Elizabeth Scott, but have heard so much about her! I think I will start with Stealing Heaven since both Nomes and you loved it :)

Nomes said...

i agree about greg and dani's chemistry. it was awesome.

i kind of felt sorry for the mum, not sure why? i felt way more sorry for dani though.

i adore e scott. cannot wait for her books that are coming out this year.

LOVE this review :) Stealing Heaven is my fave E scott ~ it's on my favourite shelf as well

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Gah I love her work! Why have I not read this book yet, awesome review! :)

Savannah said...

Great review! I love this book. The emotions in it were good. The plot even better. Also I had just discovered this book by picking it up on a whim and now I heart the author.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Ooohhhhhh, tingles! And I love that she's a thief! Wait, is it wrong to say that?? Still, adds an interesting something - haven't read this author before so I will have to check her out! Thanks, Nic!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Where have I been?! I haven't heard of this book! I'm going to go and check this book out more!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Why do I not know Elizabeth Scott yet? *slaps self*

Well, this review is making me goofy grin. The book sounds wonderful, Nic. I love slow building romances. The one you mention here kind of sounds like the one between Finn and Clara and the whole: "I want to look forward to kissing you for a while." "I know exactly what you mean."

*goofy grins*

Elodie said...

I hadn't heard of this one until now and it sounds really good !! I've added it to my wishlist =)
You should read Anna and the French Kiss or Simone Elkeles' books (if you haven't yet) if you're in a romance mood Nic ;) They are great !!

Jenny said...

I LOVE the goofy grin! Those kind of books just make me stupidly happy:) I'm with Missie, though I need to slap myself because I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Scott either. I love romantic tension and this sounds like it has lots of that, adding it to the list Nic!

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

Great review :) I'm really, really excited about this book now. I felt hesitant to buy it, but this definitely convinced me!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I LOVED this book too. I think I told you before Elizabeth is one of my favs. Have you read Love you Hate you Miss you...so good!!!

Super cute review!

Jenny N. said...

Great review! I've heard so many good things about this book and I do want to read it one day.

Nina said...

I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Scott, but I think this might be a good book to start with! :) Great review!

Kat said...

A teenage thief and her mom-- this book sounds awesome! I'd never heard of it before, but glad to hear it's a fun, sorta sweet read. Thanks for the review. :)

By the way, I love how you have random quotes on your sidebar-- think I'm going to start collecting some quotes for a widget like that one my blog!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Hm... this sounds interesting. I haven't heard of this nor about Elizabeth! I think I need to pick up one book by her. Thanks for the review!

Julie said...

I've never read any of her books! This sounds like a sweet and fun read. I like the cute cover. Great quotes! I'm going to see if any of her books are my library. Fab review :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Elizabeth Scott is a genius, pure and simple. The chemistry between her characters and the realness from all her stories just resonates from each page. I'm so glad to hear this is just as good! Amazing review! :)

A Canadian Girl said...

I totally agree with you because this one is my favourite Scott book so far too :)

Jan von Harz said...

Fantastic review. I have been wondering about this one and after reading your review I am certain that I will enjoy it. The premise is quite different and I am always up for contemporary novels with a twist. This one looks like it fits that category quite well.

Teddyree said...

Awww your review makes me want to read this one right now Nic. I've only read the one Elizabeth Scott novel; Living Dead Girl; beautiful, brilliant but oh so sad. This one sounds like just what I need.

Leanna Elle said...

This one sounds wonderful. I've actually never read anything by Elizabeth Scott - can you believe it?! I have to read something by her soon. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of this book, but thanks! for the great review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara