Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Thursday, March 24, 2011


Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Publication date: 5th April, 2011
Source: Borrowed from a friend

It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

My Review:

"She kissed me good-bye. She told me that she loved me more than life itself. Then she stepped through security.
She never came back.
"

Wow! Where She Went is an intense and breathtaking read.  I have to admit I enjoyed If I Stay but I wouldn't say I loved it.  But Where She Went is one the BEST books I have ever read.   It made my heart ache, it made me smile and of course cry my eyes out (within the first 50 pages might I add).
This story really got under my skin.   It consumed my thoughts and I HAD TO read it all in one sitting otherwise I would have been a complete mess.  I had to know whether Adam and Mia where going to be okay?   Whether they were going to move on or get back together?  Because Adam and Mia are characters that you get completely and utterly emotionally invested in.

What to say about Adam?  He is intense, broken and flawed (and another musician ~swoons~).  The way Forman writes I felt like I could feel every bit of his pain (and it hurt like hell).

Mia, I adore too.  I thought I would be mad with her for breaking Adam's heart.   But I understood why Mia choose to make that decision to leave Adam thanks to Forman writing such well crafted and believable characters.

The writing is the kind I love - simple yet beautiful and powerful.  There are parts of Adam's song lyrics at the beginning of most chapters.  I really love books that music plays an important part of and Forman really expresses both Adam's and Mia's passion for music.

Overall, I am just blown away by the heart in this story.  Where She Went is a must read for everyone!

Overall Rating: 5/5    ***A FAVOURITE READ OF 2011***
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 5/5

For more info: Visit Gayle Forman's website.

For more reviews:  Goodreads

***Audrey and Missie I am putting this out there now.  Adam is mine XD

29 comments:

It's a Book Thing said...

Thank you for the Review! Will be adding this to my TBR list!

Pop past the blog to say hi!

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

I envy you so bad for getting to read this early! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Jan von Harz said...

Very high praise. I am probably one of the only blogger yet to read If I Stay, but after reading how much you loved Where She Went, I can see I will have to correct this soon.

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

I've been waiting for this to come out for a long time so I could read If I Stay because basically everyone I know came crying to me when they read it. I'm buying it the minute it comes out so I can finally know what the fuss is all about.

Misha said...

Wow! I really need to read If I Stay soon. After reading your review for Where She Went, I am excited to finally read the first book.

Leanna Elle said...

I loved If I Stay and I really, really can't wait to read this one! Beautiful review - I hope I love it just as much as you did!

Oooh, I see you're reading Saltwater Moons - I'm dying to read that one too. Can't wait to read your review!

Cass said...

Still very jealous that you got to read this! :'( Oh, the time has almost come, when I receive my copy!!! Lovely review. I'm really glad this blew you away though - can't wait to be blown away also.

Savannah said...

Great review! Still very jealous that you have read this. Your review makes me want to read it now! If you say it is the BEST, then I know it will be. So lucky to have read it!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Ok, fine...I'm sold haha Gayle is a genius, and her writing is just so vivid and tangible. I can't wait to read this one! :D

A.J. said...

It's one of my fave reads this year too! :D

Elodie said...

I finally bought If I Stay last week .. and I can't wait to start reading it !! I'm glad you like this one Nic ;)

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

Oh wow, I TOTALLY CAN'T WAIT for this! I am so glad it wasn't a let down :D Only a week to go!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

YOU CAN'T CALL DIBS ON ADAM!!!! Plus, he is America, so you would have to come over here to get him :P

GAAAAAAH! Oh, Nic! This review makes me so freaking happy! I can not wait to read WSW! I am one of those that LOVED IIS! You are absolutely right, the emotional investment is what get you. And I love what Forman does with Music too! I read the excerpt and the presence of music is there right from the start! It is powerful in its simplicity!

Love this review. Love hearing it is a favorite for the year! So so happy! *dances*

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Weeeeeeeeeeee! Just saw that you are currently reading Saltwater Moons! Another one I'm dying to read.

Seriously, Nic. My vampires are going to come after you.

Jenny said...

I'm sold, anything you loved enough to name it a "favorite read" is enough for me:) I haven't read If I Stay, but I'm so glad to know that even though that one didn't blow you away, this sequel did - love it when that happens! Beautiful review Nic, I definitely need to read both of these books:)

bibliophile brouhaha said...

Yea!!!!! I'm going to read this next week, and your review made me want to pick it up right now! I have this feeling that I may actually like this one more, story-wise, than If I Stay. Crazy? I loved Adam and can't wait to see what he's been up to.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

YAYYYYY!!!! I LOVE YOUR REVIEW!!! =D I soooo loved this book too! =) *quickly steals Adam before Nic gets to him* but yeah. This book was freaking amazing :) great review :)

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

It's not one of my favorite reads(I'm in the minority). I just liked If I Stay much more! Great review! I will admit the suspense was killing me as well.

Jenny N. said...

I knew I wanted to read both books after seeing the book trailer for Where She Went. Your rave review just makes me want to pick up the books even more.

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you liked it..:D Im reading this one as well and I love that she did this from the Adams POV, I think If I Stay is one my fav YA books ever.

Kat said...

I still need to read If I Stay! Glad you loved this one, and the first book is going down on my library list. :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh man! So, it looks like I'm adding 2 more books to the tbr. Missie has me with the first one and now you have me with the second. I'm gonna be buried!

Julie said...

The BEST book you've ever read! Wow. I haven't read If I Stay yet. It's on my list. I probably should read that one first. I'm getting goosebumps from your review. Fab!

Teddyree said...

*Squeal* I seriously cannot wait to read this one, I'm green, like Kermit green that you've read it already. I loved If I Stay so I'm more than excited to read that Where She Went exceeds expectations :) YAY

A Canadian Girl said...

Aaah, I must know what happens to Adam and Mia! I'm so glad this one is from Adam's POV :)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

I got If I Stay a few weeks ago, so I'll be starting to reading it soon. You've really made me want to bump it up the list though, just so I can read Where I Went! Great review :)

Marg said...

I really want to read this one after reading a couple of reviews recently!

A Beautiful Madness said...

I've been dying for this book. I cna't wait to read it! Only one week now to wait.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara