Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thomspon

Monday, March 7, 2011



Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson
Published: August, 2009
Goodreads Description:  The Patient, Leigh Nolan (that would be me), has just started her first year at Stiles College. She has decided to major in psychology (even though her parents would rather she study Tarot cards, not Rorschach blots).
Patient has always been very good at helping her friends with their problems, but when it comes to solving her own...not so much.
Patient has a tendency to over analyze things, particularly when the opposite sex is involved. Like why doesn't Andrew, her boyfriend of over a year, ever invite her to spend the night? Or why can't she commit to taking the next step in their relationship? And why does his roommate Nathan dislike her so much? More importantly, why did Nathan have a starring role in a much-more-than-friendly dream?
Aggravating factors include hyper-competitive fellow psych majors, a professor who’s badly in need of her own psychoanalysis, and mentoring a middle-school-aged girl who thinks Patient is, in a word, naive.


My Review:

Favourite Quote:  "You . . . smell like rain." Whatever I expected, that hadn't been it. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" "Good," he said. "Definitely good."

This book is a hidden gem.   I hadn't heard anything really about Psych Major Syndrome until my friend and book guide Nomes read and wrote a rave review for it.  I then couldn't get my hands on it fast enough and she was right this book is AMAZING!   Psych Major Syndrome is funny, warm, irresistible read that is slightly quirky in a good way.

Thompson writing is clever, witty and charming.  It just has a great flow that makes it so easy to get caught up in this story.  It is the kind of writing that keeps you amused and causes a silly grin on your face too.  Please note that as a warning if you read this in a public place.

Leigh, is the girl you want to be bestfriends with.  She is just a normal girl and is someone easy to relate too.  I love that she drives an old beat up car, likes to read 'incredibly unrealistic and badly written romance novels' and tends to over analyze everything.

And then there is Nathan......awwww ~sighs dreamily~.  He ticks all the boxes for me to make a great literary crush.  Can play guitar, check.  Has a crooked smile, check.  And tends to walk around shirtless, check.  He also is just a great guy, no bad boy attitude in sight.  It is impossible for anybody not to like him.

The romance in this book is delicious and sweet.  The kind that you keeping going back and re-reading again and again and again. 

Overall, Psych Major Syndrome is a book that makes you feel good.  I say to all contemp and romance fans run out and get this book now!

Overall Rating: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Cover: 4/5

For more reviews:  Visit Inkcrush

29 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Oh man, both you AND Nomes loved it! Dang, I need to put this on my tbr, it looks really really fantastic and just like the type of book I'd love. Thanks so much for the review!!

Chachic said...

Oooh this one looks really interesting! There was a point during college when I thought it would be a good idea to major in psych. LOL.

Misha said...

I need to read this book soon! I've heard great things about it everywhere. Leigh sounds so relatable and she is a Psychology Major, like me. haha

Braiden said...

I think I need to get this just for the the fact that I am in that same boat of first year Psychology major part of it LOL!. Great review Nic. Honest like always.

Sniffly Kitty said...

O man, this book sounds like something I would love to read (being a psych major and all) the description for it makes me laugh in that nervous I fell like I've been there kind of way heh~~

Sniffly Kitty
Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books

Rachel said...

I'm going to be majoring in Psych next year so maybe I should read this? haha. Great review Nic, you always have a way of convincing me to read books I was still on the fence about.

Nomes said...

haha, sounds like evryone's a psych major, LOL.

yay for loving this and LOL @ me being your book guide (!!) you're too funny.

Love this review :D You always write with so much energy ~ it's addictive :)

Savannah said...

I have never heard of this book. It sounds great. I will pick up. Great review!!

Jan von Harz said...

I Just love reading Nomes reviews. Only trouble is I want the books she raves about immediately and then have to wait for them to be released in the US (sigh). This sounds awesome and will check out when I can get my hands on it. Seems like between Nomes and you I am doomed to wait.

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

Bam. Straight onto my TBR list. Thanks for the review! :)

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I'll be checking out this book since you love it so much! :)

Nina said...

ooh, I do love romance, but contemp not so much. So I'm not sure about this one. ;)

Danna (Bananas For Books) said...

Thanks for the review! I'm trying to read a lot of contemp right now and this one looks really good.
-Danna

Jenny said...

Ohhhh a hidden gem you say? MUST READ! I've never heard of this one so I'm glad you posted this review Nic. And I quite enjoyed your literary crush checklist, the walking around without a shirt is always a good thing:) Definitely adding this to my list!

bibliophile brouhaha said...

I don't think I've heard too much about this one, either! I trust you and Nomes, though, so onto the TBR list it goes!

Leanna Elle said...

Love the sound of this one! I put it on my wishlist after reading Nomes review. Sounds like it's definitely one for me to check out! You've got me wanting to meet Nathan!!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I first heard about this book because of Nomes review too, but then I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder to add it to my must read.

Shirtless, guitar happy Nathan sounds dream worthy indeed. Another we are going to have to fight over? I must find out.

Love this review, Nic. Thanks.

Alix said...

So with both you and Nomes writing incredible reviews of this it is a MUST read. It sounds like just the right book for my poor, stressed out mind and Nathan sounds lovely too :)

A.J. said...

Like others have mentioned, I never heard about this book until Nomes reviewed it. From reading both reviews, it sounds good! Added it to my wishlist. Hope it eventually releases in paperback. :)

Jenny N. said...

You know I'm a sucker for a good romance so I'm adding this to my reading list.

A Canadian Girl said...

You're totally right about the romance in this one being sweet. I read Psych Major Syndrome last year because I'm a psych major too and wanted to see how Leigh would deal with things, and loved the book.

jayme said...

Sounds like a great book and perfect for my psych major best friend! WIll have to find this one ASAP!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I needed this one when I was in college. This one sounds good. Thanks for the great review.

Elodie said...

Wow !! Great review Nic !! I hadn't really heard of this book until now and thank you because it seems awesome !! I'm going to add it to my wishlist .. NOW !! =)

Kat said...

I love discovering lesser-known books, hidden gems. Psych Major Syndrome sounds like a lot of fun, and I love the title. Definitely going on my to-read list! :)

Alison Can Read said...

This sounds very interesting. Even though it's written in college, do you think the voice is good for younger readers? On the other hand, do you feel like her voice still manages to feel like a college-aged girl? That hard place between not sounding too old for YA readers yet not sounding unrealistically young.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Okay both your review and the synopsis have just convinced me that I need to read this book asap!

Small Review said...

Hm, do I smell My Book Boyfriend material? I can't decide who sounds better, the swoon worthy guy or the main character who sounds like an instant BFF. I never put much thought into this book, but your review might be changing my mind. :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

Your Book Boyfriend post + review make me order this book right now, for real. I can't wait to start reading it!Thanks a lot for your awesome review:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara