Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Saturday, November 6, 2010


Goodreads Description - Violet Eden is dreading her seventeenth birthday dinner. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. The one bright spot is that Lincoln will be there. Sexy, mature and aloof, he is Violet’s idea of perfection. But why does he seem so reluctant to be anything more than a friend?

After he gives her the world’s most incredible kiss – and then abandons her on her front doorstep – Violet is determined to get some answers. But nothing could have prepared her for Lincoln’s explanation: he is Grigori – part angel and part human – and Violet is his eternal partner.

Without warning, Violet’s world is turned upside down. She never believed in God, let alone angels. But there’s no denying the strange changes in her body ... and her feelings for Lincoln. Suddenly, she can’t stand to be around him. Luckily, Phoenix, an exiled angel, has come into her life. He’s intense and enigmatic, but at least he never lied to her.

As Violet gets caught up in an ancient battle between dark and light, she must choose her path. The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity...

My Review:-

Favourite Quote: "Why are you so afraid to be more than ordinary?"

I wanted so badly to love this book especially since Shirvington is a debut Australian author but unfortunately I am left with mixed feelings about it. There were certain aspects of this book that I did thoroughly enjoy but other parts fell short.  

First off, my favourite thing about this book was the beautiful prose. Here is just one example:

"I slowly opened my eyes. The sun speared its first bright rays of golden orange into the sky and I leapt from the cliff with the sorrowful knowledge that no matter what the outcome, at very least, part of me would die that day."

Shirvington really shows some talent as a writer.

The concept of this book was interesting and unique with it whole hierarchy of angels. At first it was a little bit confusing but as the story went on it unfolded nicely. 

The romance in this book was both gorgeous and smoking hot! I didn’t particularly like the whole love triangle thing but I liked the chemistry Shirvington created.  The way she described Violet's emotions and thoughts during those romantic moments. For example:

“Then he touched my lips with his, trembling and I knew control was on tenuous string. But it still wasnt enough. If I couldnt have the control I wanted, then maybe Id be better off with none at all.

The trouble I had with this novel was the characters. For me they just seemed a little bit too perfect. Looks, money, smart, an apartment with a doorman, a parent that doesn’t care what you do but still loves you etc. I need to feel like I can relate to the characters. Either I see something of myself in them or somebody I know but I couldn’t.

Also Violet the main character is only 17 years old and sometimes the situations she was in or actions seemed more like something a 25 year old would do. For me personally I think the characters would have worked better if they had been adults. It would have made the scenes more realistic.

Overall, this book had loads of potential but for me it was just an okay read. I am sure it will have lots of fans especially if you love Angel books and love triangles (eg Fallen). The sequel Entice is out in 2011 and despite this books flaw I will be giving it a read.

Rating: 2.5 stars

For more info check out Embrace website

My blogger friend Cass enjoyed this book. Go check out her review and her author interview at Words on Paper

Check out the awesome trailer:


9 comments:

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

This sounds like an interesting I might have to put on my already long list. :)

A.J. said...

Great honest review, Nic! Not sure if I'll be reading this one. You know how love-triangles bug me... :p

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Thanks. I hope you enjoy it AngelicNytmare.

AJ - That love triangle would drive you crazy!

brandileigh2003 said...

I haven't hear of this one, but it sounds like worth giving a chance. I like a smoking hot romance :)

Happy reading and have a great weekend!
Blkosiner's book blog

Vee said...

Yeah, love triangles do bug me but Embrace sounds a cut above the majority of angel books, for sure. There are a lot of interesting elements. I don't really like books exclusively about overly-wealthy people either (I get a bit bored. Although I must admit that I love the TV version of Gossip Girl, haha), though, so I'll probably pass on reading this one.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

So nice to see a very honest review. If I try this one, I will pick it up at the library. Nice cover, though.

I see you are reading Nightshade - just finished and reviewed it - I liked it a lot and hope you are, too!

-Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

Anonymous said...

Thanks! for sharing.

danya said...

I've really only seen glowing reviews of Embrace before this, so good to see a balanced perspective. Sorry to hear that you couldn't connect with the characters, I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

it was alright, but i found it very unrealistic in places and some scenes which i would have liked to read more about were too short.... like one of the end scenes. there was not enough detail, like the author was in a rush. good story though, i just think she needs to grow a little more as an author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara