Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

Tuesday, November 23, 2010


Fourteen year old nerd-boy Dan Cereill is not quite coping with a reversal of family fortune, moving house, new school hell, a mother with a failing wedding cake business, a just-out gay dad, and an impossible crush on Estelle, the girl next door. His life is a mess, but for now he's narrowed it down to just six impossible things...

My Review:-

Favourite Quotes: ‘Something large and happy has unfolded in my chest, erupting in a smile that won’t quit. I can’t remember ever feeling so light-hearted. Or is my heart full? Or bursting? Not aching, that’s for sure.’

5 stars is not a high enough rating for this. There is something special about Six Impossible Things. Maybe it is the extraordinary writing or the touching and funny plot or maybe it is the unforgettable characters but either way this book is absolutely brilliant.

One of the reason I loved this book is because of the writing - interesting, quirky, witty, humorous and engaging.  Fiona Wood has been writing television script for popular Aussie TV shows for the last ten years.  And you can tell that she is an experienced writer as she knows how to draw you into Dan's world and make you never want to leave.  I could happily stayed surrounded by this wonderful bunch of characters.

And what well crafted characters they are, even the secondary.  Dan, is a sweetheart. Why didn't I know any boys like that when I was teenager?   He is impossible not to love.  I really empathize with him as his world is turned upside.  Being a teen is hard enough without you Dad declaring his gay, your Mum's business failing, moving house, changing school, suddenly becoming poor and of course crushing on the impossible girl, Estelle.  But despite all those struggles Dan is a hopeful character.  You will be cheering him on, laughing with him (okay sometimes at him) and want to hug him when things go wrong.  

And his crush on Estelle is super sweet.  He likes her for more than just because she is beautiful but because she is interesting and smart. I  love the prologue where Dan talks about Estelle and list all these little crazy facts about her.  And that kissing her is always at the top of his list of things to do even if it seems impossible.   The romance just makes you smile.

Overall, AMAZING.  Please Fiona Wood hurry up and write more books.  I want more!

And because I loved the writing so much I going to leave you with another favourite quote:   'My problems are like waves - just as one disappears with a snarl and a hiss there’s another shaping up to knock me down'.
 
Rating: 5/5 stars

For More Info: Fiona Wood's website

Want to read more amazing reviews: InkcrushLost In Stories and My Girl Friday 

Some news: Fiona Wood is currently working on her second novel now. 'It’s called ‘Pulchritude’ – what an ugly word for beauty…'   I can't wait!

5 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

This sounds good. I'm not familiar enough with Aussie fiction. Another screenwriter whose book I loved it Swim The Fly by Don Calame. You could tell he had a screenwriting background with the smoothness and completeness of each scene.

Nomes said...

wow. you completely NAILED this review.

Love that you loved it as much as I did :)

Such a brilliant year in books for the Aussie YA scene. I'm having trouble choosing my favourites. I think you've read a lot of my faves from this year: Six Impossible Things, Raw Blue, Graffiti Moon, The Piper's Son, Good Oil... wait until you read Beatle Meets Destiny! Fingers crossed you will fall under it's spell too :)

x

Jenny said...

Ohhh a 5/5 with the wish you could give it a higher rating still - that's a book worth reading! Dan sounds like a fabulous and adorable character, and I love a sweet romance that you can't help but smile at. I hadn't heard of this book before, but it's going on my list now. Thanks for this review!

Anna said...

"5 stars is not a high enough rating for this" WOW that is high praise, indeed! I can already tell from the description that the writing is just as you described: "Nerd-boy"? "An impossible crush"? I love it. Off to go add to my to-read list. Thanks for sharing it with me!

Alix said...

Wonderful review and great quotes! I want to read this so much. Fingers crossed it comes out in th US soon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara