Raincheck on Timbuktu by Kirsten Murphy

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Goodreads Description - Lucy has her life all planned out -

* perfect job at 21
* engaged to ideal man at 26
* married at 27 and a half
* building ideal home at 28 (fully equipped with a stereo surround-sound wide screen TV and a comfortable, yet stylish couch)
* birth of perfect daughter at 30

What does not neatly fit into her organised life is a mother with a bombshell, an ex-best friend with an unfortunate liking for low-life boyfriends, a series of badly dressed, metallic-eyeshadowed teachers and a (very) friendly boy next door.

Mini Review:-

Favourite Quote: "You know when you put something on lay-by and you look forward to paying it off and picking it up in a few weeks?  That's how I feel about my life.  I've been looking forward to picking it up my brand new life for a while now.  Once I get my new life I'll be fun, interesting and happy - perfect".

This is a book that just make you smile.  Raincheck on Timbuktu is funny, smart and such a truthful coming of age story that really captures all the emotions and confusions of being a teen.  It has a wonderfully bunch of characters but I adored Lucy and really felt for her as she learned to let go of the past and started living in the moment.  To me this is an Aussie classic.  I only wish I had read this as a teen.

Rating: 5/5

Want to find more awesome Aussie YA check out Nomes @ Inkcrush amazing list of books.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

Vee said...

I had the amazingly lucky experience of reading this when I was fourteen. It's an amazing book, such a classic coming of age story, with incredible characters.

Love your review, too :D

Nomes said...

glad you loved it. it feels like my life, this book. so much fun

x

oh - and thanks for the shout out :)

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Music4Betty - You should it is a brilliant read :)

Vee - Agree. Classic coming of age story full of truthful characters :)

Your welcome Nomes and thank you for sending me a copy of this :)

Jenny said...

Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually plan your life out that way? Some days I would love to do that, but others days I like when life gets in the way. This one does sound really cute, nice mini-review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara